Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Preparing Burley for cigarette blend

Status
Not open for further replies.

holyRYO

Did you thin out your root beer 'casing' any with water?

(It was completely dry)

No thinning on the root beer.

Try sticking yours back in the oven and drying it crisp... just to see... mine did not come out sticky that way...

holyRYO

Ok... now I have gone from "what the heck am I going to do with this burley"... to loving the agave cased recipe... been putting a little in everything... and now I am out... :(

I guess I will have to buy some this time... lol

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
im gonna try my luck, at making my burley, to be something different than just STRONG,

im growing many varities,

holyRYO

I just got done smoking WLT Burley (toasted and cased with agave)... rolled in a WLT Bright wrapper, ciggy style... sublime. My favorite home for WLT's Burley is all by it's lonesome. :)

JonnieM82

I smoked pall malls when they were American tobacco company. So burley casing is supposed to be overly sweet. But making invert sugar syrup and adding a bit of water and glycerin seems to be best for simply smoothing it out and taking away most of the bite.

burge

Orange on Virginia sounds appetizing... kinda a McClellan East Carolina Ribbon citrus type thing...

I have had some of that McClellan its a nice blender but I find that citrus taste is bittersweet good for blending. I have a lot at home and it blends well with the old lemon but not with the new lemon. Carolina Virginias have a unique taste to them great for blending.

Muggs

Banned
Adding an acid will work but I think it would be better/easier to add some type of sugar. When a typical Virginia burns the sugars form acids and reduce the pH even more than what the pH of the leaf is naturally. This makes for a nice smooth smoke. Burley has no sugar in it so by using a casing with sugar you are kind of making it like a flue cured Virginia.There are two types of sugars to use, non reducing sugars such as sucrose which tend to caramelize (yielding a caramel-ish flavor) and reducing sugars such as glucose and fructose (think honey and molasses) these reduce the pH much more effectively than the non reducing sugars.

On the other hand, adding weak acids at .5-2% will neutralize the ammonia in the tobacco, reduce the pH somewhat , thereby reducing the impact.
This burley 64,I have been working, when I misted it with sugar, an then put it in the Microwave,an nuked it until dry,it smoked great,still had a faint throat hit,

Muggs

Banned
This burley 64,I have been working, when I misted it with sugar, an then put it in the Microwave,an nuked it until dry,it smoked great,still had a faint throat hit,
will I have gold leaf coming. Maybe itll be better.

Muggs

Banned
I'm a little confused on ratios.what is 5-2% how much is 2% is that to a quart.1/4 teaspoon?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
A quart of water weighs about 806 grams. 5% of that is about 40 grams. One tsp of granulated sugar is about 4 grams. (A US cup of granulated sugar is about 200 grams.)

So, 5% sugar is a smidgen less than 1/4 cup of granulated sugar per quart of water. You would likely have to heat the water to dissolve the sugar, then allow it to cool.

[This sounds more like a Danish pastry than smoking tobacco.]

Bob

Muggs

Banned
A quart of water weighs about 806 grams. 5% of that is about 40 grams. One tsp of granulated sugar is about 4 grams. (A US cup of granulated sugar is about 200 grams.)

So, 5% sugar is a smidgen less than 1/4 cup of granulated sugar per quart of water. You would likely have to heat the water to dissolve the sugar, then allow it to cool.

[This sounds more like a Danish pastry than smoking tobacco.]

Bob
Foot thought growing tobacco to make a good smoke was suppose to be
Easy.

Muggs

Banned
I was lured into pipe smoking by the aroma of casings many years ago. The smell of vanilla, cherry, amaretto, etc. flavored tobacco is what drew me in. Pipe tobacco with added casings (such as the ones I just mentioned) are referred to as aromatic blends. However, as I began experimenting, I developed a taste for non-aromatic blends, and, since then, I no longer smoke aromatics. I feel that casings cover up the flavor of the tobacco. Although every now and then I'll smoke an aromatic blend, I prefer the taste of unadulterated tobacco. Smoking straight tobaccos might seem monochromatic at first, but this is far from the truth. The possibilities are endless as there are so many variables involved in blending tobacco. I am currently smoking a cigarette blend consisting of 60% flue cured, 35% burley and 5% dark fired. The small amount of dark fired gives a nice smoke.:)
Kind a like puting A sauce on a a high dollar steak.me I like a to taste the steak, no sauce

OldDinosaurWesH

Come on guys! Three teaspoons is a table spoon, Two table spoons is one ounce. 8 ounces is a cup. 32 ounces per quart. 128 ounces per gallon.

Teaspoons, table spoons, etc. are units of volume not weight. Who taught you guys how to cook? Even on that Great British Baking Show they still use English units of measure for cooking.

Wes H.

Status
Not open for further replies.