Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Preparing Burley for cigarette blend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
molasses, is added, to a lot of plantys that are consumable, to alter the taste,,, harshness,,,sourness,,,e,t,c.

and even to help some mediums to grow certain picky plants better,

i think, it has something mainly to do with the sugar in the molasses,,

ive never used, it, but have read, a lot about it's use, in many different plants for multiple reasons,

I would agree with that Chicken, I've planted quite a few white pines, I swear by putting about 2 liters + 1 cup of sugar in the hole when I put the root ball in, it's always worked well for me, not sure why but it does. (mixed the sugar/water together in a homogeneous mixture first)

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I swear by putting about 2 liters + 1 cup of sugar in the hole when I put the root ball in, it's always worked well for me, not sure why but it does. (mixed the sugar/water together in a homogeneous mixture first)

I added 10 pounds of white sugar to my garden this year when I added the other amendments. Sugar is a carbohydrate and as such will be used by the beneficial bacteria/fungi in your soil. It is common for farmers to add dry molasses to their soil for the same reason.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Hmmm makes sense, it's something to definitely try.

What size garden have you got Jitter?

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
it makes sense to me,

i never thought of throwing sugar to my baccy patch,

perhaps next year we need a thread, explaining what growers do special

like j-bug's sugar tossing,,,e,t,c,

to help fortify thier soil,

little special things we do to give it a boost,

we all do something, like me using a chicken-manure/sawdust mix,,, for the beginning phases of nitrogen uptake,

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
So ~1.7 grams per sq. foot, any problems with bugs rodents mold etc? Was it topical or tilled in? Ph change?

Boboro

tHe first thing I do is get a half gallon of cheap vodka I soak anise inthat mix alot of stuff in that coffie and sassafras root wen I can find it. Ilet that soak for aweek bring it in to case. When I get my bacco right I'll quit this foolish'ins cray talk but I'lltalk about it this winter

DonH

A couple of weeks ago I tried Don's toasted Burley technique using a teaspoon of honey one of molasses and a teaspoon of cocoa in 4 oz or so of water. Came out OK but it didn't taste quite right. I could taste the molasses and didn't like it that much. So last night I found I had some licorice root and anise seeds, so I took two tablespoons of licorice and a teaspoon of anise, ground them up and sprinkled some on a small amount of the Burley but it didn't do much. I then took all th ground up stuff and made a tea with a cup of water. I sprayed the toasted Burley with the tea and toasted it again to bring it to the right case and it did the trick. I made some cigarettes with Flue Cured, toasted Burley and Turkish and it tasted like a fine commercial cigarette. The licorice/anise was the missing ingredient.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
tHe first thing I do is get a half gallon of cheap vodka I soak anise inthat mix alot of stuff in that coffie and sassafras root wen I can find it. Ilet that soak for aweek bring it in to case. When I get my bacco right I'll quit this foolish'ins cray talk but I'lltalk about it this winter
I'd never get past step one.

J

DonH

I also smoked one with only the toasted Burley with licorice and anise and it was surprisingly smooth. I'm really bullish on the licorice thing. Especially if you want your commercial cig smoking friends to try whole leaf.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
i'
like my baccy straight, with no additives,

but the burley, i would definatlly let age as long as possible,

i think it's like a good licquor,

the older the better,<!

johnlee1933

Founding Member
You guys have about got me talked into trying to case some burly. Can I use high quality licorice candy dissolved in water for my licorice flavor? Where do I get anise flavor? Candy, cough drops, extract, what??

John

DonH

You guys have about got me talked into trying to case some burly. Can I use high quality licorice candy dissolved in water for my licorice flavor? Where do I get anise flavor? Candy, cough drops, extract, what??

John
They may sell anise extract in stores. Anise seeds can be bought off the spice rack and you can make an extract by soaking it in vodka. Or go the tea route. Licorice candy may have other stuff in it though but natural food stores will have dried licorice root.

BigBonner

Founding Member
Heath food stores has the liquid licorice in small bottles .
I would like to find a place to get it in bulk .
Anise just isn't the same as Licorice and licorice candy has no licorice in it .

Boboro

Im' going to work with sassafras root this winter Ive' tryed it and it may be good. Ive used some Zatran root beer consontrait but it ant' real. The real stuff got a kick.

Status
Not open for further replies.