BigBonner

Founding Member

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
fox farm ocean forest

is about the best and expensive soil money can buy,

it should feed your plants by itself, for the first 4 weeks,

and good luck, but i'd put them in 4''-6'' pots to start them, let the roots have some room to grow into,

andrewislord

Thanks for the links, BigBonner. I haven't had too much time to look through the rest of those sites but they look helpful. From what I read though, it does look like damping off. Why didn't I think of that? I've seen it before in other things. I guess I was thinking it would be more complicated or something.
You're right, the roots were tiny and brown. And I can see the line on the base of the stem.
Good to know, thanks.

Chicken. Yeah, that's why I used the Fox Farm. I figured I wouldn't have to mess with it at all for a while. I didn't want to use it because it's expensive. But really I get it for less than $10 a bag. It costs me about 7-8 for Miracle Grow when it's on sale.
Also, how's that Grow Big working out in your patch? I saw you used it. Any suggestions on how much to give to tobacco? Have you tried the Big Bloom or Tiger Bloom on tobacco? Big Bloom seems too weak and expensive for this.

andrewislord

Well, this is what I got left. It's looking like that Shirazi is going nowhere. So I guess I have 7. Not sure exactly how old they are, but they're around 5 weeks. Can anyone tell me if they look normal for 5 weeks?

DSCN4026.jpgDSCN4027.jpg

The dog got another one.
DSCN4029.jpg

I have two that are folded up. One just started to lay back down, the other still pointing up. Why is it doing that?

BarG

Founding Member
I'm not sure anyones first grow is normal. Too many mistakes can be made for such a tiny sprout the first time. Try to get through with the plants that have survived and count your blessings. A few of those plants look like they have a really good chance . Water from the bottom and keep in dappled sun and shade till they get bigger. Let dry a bit between waterings but keep a close eye for undue stress for lack of water. That watering from the bottom and letting dry a bit saved my grow this year , my seedlings would not have made it through setting out without that advice. Thanks to everyone who drove that home.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
i ocassioanally use the GROW BIG on them, as a leafular sprey,,

i dont think the big- bloom would do anything for it, since baccy is a leaf crop, and not a fruit crop,

and i'd buy ocean forest all day long at that price,

YOU WANNA STAY away from the miracle grow soil, with the TIME RELEASED FERT'S ,

the best way to kill your seedlings is to use that stuff,

just use a '' neutral'' soil, and add your own '' organic'' materials,, i.e. worm castings, bat guano e.t..c

wazzappenning

bigbonner, you just found what my problem is as well. i have 5 or so seedlings that sprouted but never developed. they just sit there the size of a small clover, and when they yellowed i would water them. they turned green for a while, but none ever grew up.

is there a way to fix them other then letting them dry out which seems to kill them even more?

BigBonner

Founding Member
bigbonner, you just found what my problem is as well. i have 5 or so seedlings that sprouted but never developed. they just sit there the size of a small clover, and when they yellowed i would water them. they turned green for a while, but none ever grew up.

is there a way to fix them other then letting them dry out which seems to kill them even more?

Change your soil . Find something different .

If you do use the same soil a fan , moving the air around may help .

andrewislord

Thanks everyone for the advice.

I didn't think of the wet soil getting so warm in the sun. I think I'm lucky to have the ones I got. Also, I probably would of done better keeping them inside for longer. They only stayed inside for about two weeks. But I didn't have the room for them.

DSCN4072.jpgDSCN4073.jpg

The six together are Virginia Bright Leaf and the one is Golden Burley.

They're having a problem with the hardening off. They seemed to be doing better at that last week then now. Now like 20 minutes in the sun and they wilt. The two biggest take a little longer, and some times put up with full sun without a problem.

But, I've started letting the dry a lot between waterings. Probably too much, but it seems to be the only way I can get used to when it needs water. Also, the big ones dry out much faster.

But anyway, I'm happy. They're growing like normal plants, finally, or at least two of them are.

On the soil. Is it safe to get the organic cheap junk? Obviously Fox Farm is better, but does the organic Mircale Grow and others have the time release and the chlorine and bad potash?

I hate the time release stuff. I've made that mistake before.

wazzappenning

the first suggestion that was made to me when mine were wilting out in the sun was to transplant them into bigger containers. the roots touching the sides and bottom of the cups made it so in the sun they were not able to keep up with the sun evaporating the moisture out of the plant.

your cups seem large enough, but maybe not deep enough. mine were clear and i could see the roots trying to grow up the sides of the cup. try to see if you can see roots poking out the bottom holes.

maybe try to add just a little water to one before putting it in the sun and see how it does. other than that get bigger containers.

you did say you were hardening them off last week? maybe its time to go in the ground. mine get a little wilty in the afternoon sun, but less than an hour after the fence shades them they bounce back.

andrewislord

In case anyone is interested, I finally got them in the ground last night. They already look like they've grown since.

Last night right after transplanting.
DSCN4222.jpgDSCN4224.jpg

And a couple of hours ago.
DSCN4235 - Copy.jpg

The one in the pot goes into a 5 gallon bucket soon.

Thanks everyone.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Something's going on there.In the first picture there is an unopened beer can but it magically disappears in the 2nd and 3rd pics.. Rather odd. I've seen that same phenomenon with a lot of the people on this site.

Brown Thumb

If I Drank Paspt. I would hide it real QUICK ALso.
Nice looking Plants, Keep up the good work.
Tom

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Photo analysis is not my strong suit. But I have spent a lot of time with other kinds. In pic 3 the shadow of the right hand is obviously holding a camera. Now look at the left hand shadow and I think you will have solved the mystery of the missing beer can. :cool:

John

BarG

Founding Member
Something's going on there.In the first picture there is an unopened beer can but it magically disappears in the 2nd and 3rd pics.. Rather odd. I've seen that same phenomenon with a lot of the people on this site.
Jbd, I have budworms at my house make those cans dissapear, but I don't think they're choosy.

andrewislord

Actually in the last picture I'm not drinking anything. Well, i was drinking a rum and coke, but I wasn't holding it in the picture. That's just a cigarette and a weird picture. Although the cigarette is completely made from Don's sampler.

Pabst get's the job done.

The last and final plant goes into a pot:

Turns out I don't have a picture.

Tomorrow?

Apologies.

andrewislord

Problems.

I have a palm tree right above my tobacco plot. Use to be two but the dog ate and killed one.
So, the weird annoying as shit seed thing that pops out when one of the big thing falls fell down. Sorry I don't know what any of these things are called. My woman is saying the fronds fall and the weird thing comes out. It drops some huge amount of little seed things that get stuck in all the leaves. Eventually the big ugly thing falls. It's heavy.

The thing fell and landed on a plumaria that is also over the tobacco plants, broke the plumaria and landed on tobacco plants. So, I lots a bunch of leaves and need to know what to do with them. I stood the plants up and tied them up and they seem to not mind at all.

Pictures.
DSCN4473.jpgDSCN4475.jpgDSCN4492.JPG

Sorry if the pictures aren't great. In a bit of a hurry.

This all happened yesterday and the pictures are from maybe 30 minutes ago. As you can see it's a hazy day in Southern California.

Should I be starting a new thread for this? I wasn't sure so I just did this.

Thanks.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
just allow those leaves to yellow now, either pile them if you have enough or string em up in a shaded area with some air circulation and start the journey :)

once they are yellow they will start going to brown, you want this process to not be rushed. once brown you can put them in a low humidity area to crisp them, then kiln or age (after allowing them to come back into case so they dont shatter)

Status
Not open for further replies.