Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

beachnut chew.

Status
Not open for further replies.

workhorse_01

I've been working on it , i've come pretty close to copenhagen . I think if i added a little molasses and left the leaves in strips i could hit it.

Grundle

What is the draw of chew? I used to think only a few old men liked the stuff and that it would die out...that is until I worked at a gas station. I can't believe how much of the stuff we sold. I still don't get it....I have been too scared to try it. Heard to many stories of people throwing up on their first try.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Grundle, The nicotine content and delivery (for me at first) was so intense I nearly passed out (cope pouches...damn nasty) I eventually switched to Camel snus and Hawken Wintergreen. Both lower nicotine (if I remember 1/5 that of Cope!) I enjoy the taste and just having something to chew on. Nice nicotine hit, and I can use it while at work in my office etc.

Start with something low in nicotine if you want to try it, but don't try to be a hardass by chewing a can of cope in a day, just doesn't work well haha.

My buddy and I drove from lansing mi, to DC and back in 32 hours, that chew and redbull was the only stuff keeping us awake.

Grundle

Grundle, The nicotine content and delivery (for me at first) was so intense I nearly passed out (cope pouches...damn nasty) I eventually switched to Camel snus and Hawken Wintergreen. Both lower nicotine (if I remember 1/5 that of Cope!) I enjoy the taste and just having something to chew on. Nice nicotine hit, and I can use it while at work in my office etc.

Start with something low in nicotine if you want to try it, but don't try to be a hardass by chewing a can of cope in a day, just doesn't work well haha.

My buddy and I drove from lansing mi, to DC and back in 32 hours, that chew and redbull was the only stuff keeping us awake.

That stuff keeps you awake? I may need that for my next overnight drive to Lousiana

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Try it before you drive, driving with too strong of chew kinda makes it not-so-enjoyable. But yes it does, Nicotine is a very strong stimulant. Releases and enhances the effects of dopamine and other chemicals in the brain. Increases heart rate, which in turn increases O2 intake.

All in all, it's not like drinking a redbull through the nostrils, but it does keep you awake.

cowboyjames74, I will be working on a recipe this fall, I've always noticed a hint of raisin in whole leaf chew such as Levi Garrett so I'm curious if there is some kind of fruit extract in it. Also, I am curious as to how a citrus chew would taste

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I think you guys will find that eventually you will settle upon a recipe that you like and it probably will not resemble Redman or Beachnut. Like most ciggie smokers that start to grow their own, at first they want a cigarette just like (put your store brand here) but soon realize that their naturally grown additive free (or almost) tobacco tastes far superior. I make my own chocolate chew and not to sound like a "chew snob" but I think.. My God, why would anyone want to try to make a store bought version of chew? It's like comparing home made mashed potatoes to instant potatoes... or as some of you would say..taters...:)

workhorse_01

I agree Jitterbug. I think what i end up with will be close to copenhagen. I like everything about it but the pesticides and price.

BarG

Founding Member
Chew is real simple to make. Just boil some water with apple cider powder mix or apple juice and add some tobacco after it gets to a sticky consistancy or just use brown sugar and molasses. when the liquid gets syrupy add some destemmed tobacco leaves cut however you like and mix together and turn off heat . let the tobacco soak it up then remove and place on a cookie sheet or something and let set and dry for a day. then you can wrap in a rope and hang it up or put in an old foil pouch and keep in fridge. The ropes you can wrap string around and just hang any where I hear cool and out of weather. You can do whatever you like for the flavoring but the tobacco you use will also matter.

Matty

I made a raisin flavored batch using some boiled down oassis brand apple-grape juice. I had a little rum and molasses in there too. Kinda reminded me of redman.

cowboyjames74

I used rasins, brown sugar, water, and molasses in the crockpot at a quarter cup of each ingridient.
It tasted pretty close to beechnut, all i did was let it boil and let the tobacco soak up the ingridients over night.

workhorse_01

I'm shooting for a copenhagen taste I used One sucker air dried bacca ,salt,double acting baking powder, real hickory liquid smoke and it turned out ok. I've ordered the bakers amonia online for the next batch to give it that amonia kick that cope has.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
I made up a batch of plain apple juice flavored whole leaf chew. It was amazing - - - after I got over the initial shock of the overwhelming sweetness. I will need to add something next time to calm down that taste or just get used to it.

I used some of the virginia bright leaf from FmGrowit. All in all, if I can get the taste under control a bit, I will be fine switching to that from Redman green.

I'll keep ya'll updated on what it comes out like.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Michibacy, I 'm assuming you used straight apple juice and boiled it down. That is time consuming, try getting concentrated apple extract from LorAnn oils. Just a few drops added to your tobacco with some water and a sweetener and you 're done!

Randy b

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Thanks for the tip Jitterbug, but honestly I'm trying to do this as cost-free as possible. I got a gallon of no sugar added apple juice and it really wasn't too time consuming. Once I make a wee bit more money I may invest in the higher up oils and flavorings but right now it's just basic stuff. Thanks again though!

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Thanks for the tip Jitterbug, but honestly I'm trying to do this as cost-free as possible. I got a gallon of no sugar added apple juice and it really wasn't too time consuming. Once I make a wee bit more money I may invest in the higher up oils and flavorings but right now it's just basic stuff. Thanks again though!

If your boiled apple juice is too sweet try boiling it down less or adding water. I believe you'll still get the apple flavor you want and not so sweet.

John

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Will do. Thinking back I probably should've done that in the first place. Oh well, maybe I can add that first batch to this next one.

bighoss

Looking forward to trying the apple juice and boiling it down, I was thinking about adding some molasses as well?

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
I made a batch a few days ago. Few tips

• Add more molasses than you would think is necessary, that concentrated apple juice flavor is STRONG
  • Let it stew in the potion for a few days (the recommended hour made the casing flavor last 15 minutes, then it wore off into straight tobacco flavor
  • keep it cool (maybe in the fridge?) to help prevent mold growth
  • A lit bit of salt in the brine doesn't hurt either (evens out the flavor)

Status
Not open for further replies.