Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Stupid deer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron

I went out this morning to check on the few plants that I didn't kill off already and I see the dang deer are eating them. Here we have a herd of Mule Deer that live in town, roaming from one yard to another. I see them very frequently in my yard but I didn't think they would mess with the tobacco plants. Wrong!
The plant in the first picture used to look like the plant in the second picture, maybe a little bigger. They only ate half a leaf of the plant in the second picture. The plant in the third picture was having a difficult time, but was finally starting to grow. It only had one good leaf on it before.

7454159692_8c9670ac90_z.jpg
7454160090_645741594f_z.jpg
7454229910_e4908b1098_z.jpg

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Bob, I can't begin to think like a pro, but how in the world would you
A) keep a deer steady enough to get the basket on the deer
B) get it to stay there all night long to keep the basket on
C) Get back to it in the morning to get basket off

I don't mean to be a prude but what good does a basket on a deer do for the tobacco? Blind the deer from the baccy plants?

;)

Sorry about the luck Aaron, I hear cut garlic keeps deer out of gardens

LeftyRighty

Founding Member
hang bars of perfumed soap (motel-type) around them - my brother kept deer away from his cherry and apple trees with this.
also, try setting lawn chairs, kid's toys, etc. around the patch - deer don't like the human smell and will avoid the area.

Aaron

hang bars of perfumed soap (motel-type) around them - my brother kept deer away from his cherry and apple trees with this.
also, try setting lawn chairs, kid's toys, etc. around the patch - deer don't like the human smell and will avoid the area.

I'll try the soap idea, can't hurt. as for "human smell", I really doubt that will work with these deer. They live in town all year long and don't mind people at all. You can get 5-10 feet away from them before they will even budge, and even then they will only take a few steps away and look at you funny. I really hope it made that deer sick enough to not want more.

And I'll throw some garlic around for good measure.

SmokeStack

My tobacco is grown around a heavily wooded "forest" that is infested with deer. I thought that they would eat all my tobacco but so far they have not touched it. I am keeping my fingers crossed so that the deer won't eat them as they get bigger. Anyway, there is something that's called Liquid Fence that comes in a granular form. Just sprinkle some around the plants and the smell is supposed to keep rabbits and deer away. I tried on a flower garden and nothing has touched them. It's worth a shot. It is composed of all natural ingredients such as rotten eggs and garlic and some other offensive stuff - it smells horrible at first but wears off so that humans can no longer smell it but the animals will. I guess it's working - the flowers have not been touched and they flower bulbs are still there. Yeah, the varmints go after the bulbs too. Search Home Depot's website and you should find it there. It's easy to use and worth trying. If that does not work, then maybe invest in a 12 gauge shotgun - that always works.:cool:

indianjoe

Founding Member
You did not say how many plants or how large the plot was, so assuming it is within reason, try some fishing line tied around the plot area in many directions. Deer will not go thru a place that they can feel and not see. Add some human hair from a barber shop around the plot. Sometimes the smell will keep them away. Those muie deer sound like they are not typical and may need some "dark medicine" (a gun, knife, arrow or blowgun if in city at night).

Aaron

Fishing line actually sounds like a great idea! I can imagine that would freak them out a bit, and I doubt that would be something they would be used to already. I also checked on that liquid fence stuff and found out that our local garden center has some. I'll give that a try if the fishing line trick doesn't work. Thank you all for all the suggestions. I really appreciate the help.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
The fishing line works. The first time through they will usually break it and freak out. You have to restring it 2 or 3 times before they stop coming by. This also works fairly well on cats that use your garden as a litter box. For cats you have to run 2 pieces of fishing line roughly 6 and 12 inches.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Can you blame them? They been getting the commercial crap all their lives and all the sudden they find some pure unadulterated tobacco!

Ishi

I will try to take a pic of my deer fence. It is 2 fences 4 ft. high and 4 feet apart. One inside the other. I use electric fence tape and do not hook it up to the fencer. If I could find rope cheap that is what I would use. The idea is that the fence is too wide for them to clear in one jump and too close to jump just one fence. Had them eating the tomatoes put the fence up Saturday and no problem so far. Used it last year with great success. Everything around is dry and brown except the lawn and stubs of roses that they have left.

BarG

Founding Member
When the game wardens in magnolia Texas have to put down a deer with a broken leg or such its up to the homeowner to dispose or process the deer. About 30 a month. Getting caught up in garden fences. My son in law loved it when that happened to his dad. Free deer out of season.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
If non of the above works and you see them often just shoot em with a bb gun, they'll get the idea.

Ishi

Some Pics of my fence.
IMG_0249.jpgIMG_0250.jpgIMG_0251.jpgIMG_0252.jpg

Some look kind of dark.
The white is gypsum to help brake up the clay hard pan I plowed up.
Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.