Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

water/how often

Status
Not open for further replies.

wazzappenning

it rained for 2 days, then yesterday nice and sunny. plants got a little wilty, but bounced back overnight. now this early afternoon (2nd day of sun) a few look like this. im sure the first ones (this being one of them) had more than 2 days of sun with no water. do i water everyday? is this a sign they need water, or something else? partial shade maybe? ive shaded them, and will be watering if no replies within 1/2 hour(gotta go to work)

07062012109.jpg

Last edited:

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Check them just after sunset, or first thing in the morning. If they perk-up, then don't water. The default choice should be not to water.

Bob

wazzappenning

if this helps any this is what the few first plants look like after shading with a bed sheet over the wire fence. this is the same plant in the time it took me to write the first post!! wow

07062012110.jpg

wazzappenning

thanks bob. so when do you water? they should get used to the sun and stop doing this at some point right?

LeftyRighty

Founding Member
they will wilt and droop everytime it's hot and sunny - all season long.
It's just what tobacco does !!!
If they don't bounce back after sunset, or in the morning, it's time to water.

BarG

Founding Member
they will wilt and droop everytime it's hot and sunny - all season long.
It's just what tobacco does !!!
If they don't bounce back after sunset, or in the morning, it's time to water.
If the leaves don't bounce back even though not ripe should you prime?

If water is not the issue but heat.

Brown Thumb

I check by diving my index finger down a couple of inches away of the plants and pulling a little dirt up with it.
Good Indicator.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Last year I had too much rain, almost every day. This year almost none and I still never ever water. It's tobacco, I swear this stuff grows itself!

BarG

Founding Member
Fortunately this year 2" down is still wet. [It must be the rain turtles and catfish heads] The full sun on a hot day here is what will make and break this years crop.

I'm bad about following good advice. I have done that and I am a happy son of a gun for it.

I'm Bad and thats Good.

LeftyRighty

Founding Member
If not ripe or not mature, don't prime, unless turning brown.

I've seen droopy plants in 60-70 degrees - it's more the sun.

I dig down 3-4 inches, if soil is damp, I don't water.
Once the plants have been topped, I usually quit watering - the hot, dry seems to mature and ripen faster.

Last edited:

BarG

Founding Member
If not ripe or not mature, don't prime, unless turning brown.

I've seen droopy plants in 60-70 degrees - it's more the sun.

I dig down 3-4 inches, if soil is danp, I don't water.
Once the plants have been topped, I usually quit watering - the hot, dry seems to mature and ripen faster.

I haven't watered any . Water is not my issue, Plants are starting to bud but some varietys are not yet.

Question: Should you prime a plant that is suffering a severe heat condition before ripe or let it ripe in the field.

I have been priming on some my cigar varietys and mud lugs on most. I am impatient .

If I did the chicken scratch I wouldn't go far to hit wet ground.

Daniel

Banned
I know of sveral indications a leaf is ripe. some varieties may only show one others may show all.

Leaf begins to get a patchy yellowing, Leaf takes on an alligator texture to the leaf, the leaf begins to curl or gt wavy at the edges. The leaf becomes sticky.

I have heard in the past from some very experienced tobacco growers that letting the leaf get to ripe produces poor quality tobacco. Cigar tobacco is harvest before it is ripe. That tells me to err on the side of not ripe at all to barely ripe rather than leaving it on the plant due to doubt.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
I wonder how stalk curing figures into that because it keeps growing on the stalk long after harvest.

Status
Not open for further replies.