Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Need to build a kiln

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boboro

I age most of my tobacco natral but use kiln to bring it in and out of case. I bring it in case pack it in boxes. and dry it 4 days in kiln. This year I'm dryin stems in it.

DonH

Good information, thanks! I have a few options, then. I have a couple of places to color cure. I live in an old house built in the 1890s which has a big and deep wrap around porch. I will have to convince my wife that the leaves will look really good hanging there. I also have a treehouse in the shade with a corrugated plastic roof that is rain proof that my kids have mostly grown out of. And a big garage, but I am concerned about fumes there. Got a few weeks to figure this out, since only one plant has flowered so far.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
i just partially loaded my kiln, you'll have to look at my journal to see a lot of pic's.

here's one

>
kiln006.jpg

By chickenhawk434 at 2012-07-25

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
so just what would be a good temp. to run a kiln at?

and what is a good rh,

right now, im running 110 degrees, and 45 rh.

but my leaf is curing brittle dry,, I MEAN BRITTLE,

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Chicken,
I've been happy with 125ºF and around 75% humidity x 4 weeks. 110ºF will get the job done, so long as the humidity is above about 60 to 65%, but it will take longer.

Bob

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
right now, im running 110 degrees, and 45 rh.

but my leaf is curing brittle dry,, I MEAN BRITTLE,

Your humidity is waaaaaay to low. I ran my kiln last year at 115 degrees but in previous years I ran it at 125 degrees. Based on last year's results I think the 125 is better. I say that because last year I put a big batch of Silver River in my kiln at 115 (about 70% humidity) for 4 weeks. My wife smokes it for cigarettes and she was unimpressed saying it was somewhat bland and a little harsh. I took that load of kilned Silver River and put it in my barn in April. This past July I used my POWERMATIC shredder and shredded it. Now she thinks its the best tobacco she's ever had. So, several things might be going on here. (1). The POWERMATIC shredder magically changes the taste of the tobacco (2) the low kiln temp does not age the tobacco as quick as the higher temp and (3) sweating the low temp kilned tobacco for a few months greatly improved its flavor. I'm inclined to go with (2) and (3).

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Tim, It was stored in a big plastic box with a lid on it. The temp was usually in the low to mid 90's during the day. The tobacco, since it was sealed in a box was very dry. My intent was to spray them occasionally with water but I never got around to it. I've since smoked a few more varieties from the same box and they are all noticeably smoother. I'm sure you'd get the same results by just hanging your tobacco in the barn from the rafters. You'd would just have to pay a little more attention to it to make sure it doesn't mold during rainy weather.

Randy B

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
jitterbug,
i took your advice, and put another crock pot in there, now i have 2 , which. i thought i would need to run 2 of them,

. i got to get another heat lamp, to bring my temp up, a little, i had 2 heat lamps but one got broke,

CigarNews

I had looked at the coffin nails design as one possibility. I think I would make it taller than his but not quite at tall as yours. I was thinking 4-5 feet high.

Good to hear. I am building a kiln like the one on coffinails. It is 10 feet x 4 feet x feet for 100 plants. Should be big enough, i hope!

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
with the addition of the other heat lamp im holding 125+ degrees, and 60 r.h.

the kiln is really turning out to be a very good build,

Status
Not open for further replies.