Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Stringing Tobacco

Status
Not open for further replies.

wazzappenning

some of my horse strung leaves fell out due to shrinkage, so i looked for a better way. i found this. it takes a bit longer, but you can tie one after another of these on a length of string, just pull the knot back to where you want it. you dont have to keep tension on the string as the leaves hanging on either side keep it all up.

when youre done, you dont really need the stick anymore, just hang the string. as the midribs shrink, you can just stretch one foot sections of the string and it snugs up all the knots in between.

the second method makes more sense to me

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Slip-Knot

johnlee1933

Founding Member
some of my horse strung leaves fell out due to shrinkage, so i looked for a better way. i found this. it takes a bit longer, but you can tie one after another of these on a length of string, just pull the knot back to where you want it. you dont have to keep tension on the string as the leaves hanging on either side keep it all up.

when youre done, you dont really need the stick anymore, just hang the string. as the midribs shrink, you can just stretch one foot sections of the string and it snugs up all the knots in between.

the second method makes more sense to me

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Slip-Knot
Hey Wazz, Google "knot cow hitch" (without the quotes). This is also a slip knot that I find to be much faster to tie than a slip knot. I used to use slip knots but now use this exclusively. I can't quite make it with one hand but my G-son can. I pretty much know how many "bundles" I can get between my suspension points. I lay out that many bundles and very quickly tie them off. If there are more than one lengths worth I just space out a foot and start again with the string continuous. This way I can label the string only once. That done I hang the string 1 to n lengths and tie it off and add the label.

The cow hitch is so named because it original usage was to tie several cows to the same rope. If they struggled or hung behind it got tighter and uncomfortable. When they caught up or got back in line it would self loosen and they would be comfortable again. I never used it for that but a guy I know did and said it worked very well. The hitch comes off easily when the string is loosened so getting your leaves off the string is easy when you are taking the leaves down

John

wazzappenning

my internet security site banned this for "malicious software, or online fraud or scam"

dunno why? mine doesnt give any warnings. maybe google knitting slip knot?

Hey Wazz, Google "knot cow hitch"

im not sure how to use that without goofing around with the end of the string. mine i just twist a loop and pass the long string coming off the ball through (that becomes the loop to put the leaves through) also while theyre green, the weight does the tightening, but when they dry out you have to tighten them up.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
im not sure how to use that without goofing around with the end of the string. mine i just twist a loop and pass the long string coming off the ball through (that becomes the loop to put the leaves through) also while theyre green, the weight does the tightening, but when they dry out you have to tighten them up.
That's the beauty of it. It's a knot in the bight so you don't need an end. See if you can get a video or instruction sheet on the web. Honestly it's really easy to tie. It can be tied in line. It is self tightening.

John

leverhead

I had a bunch of tobacco on stringers, I would secure the ends of the string to a clothes line with that knot with a loop (half of a bow) to finish. It held great and was easy to unhitch in a hurry.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
i wasnt very sucessfull. wth my stringing baccy experiment,

i think i'll stick to the way i was doing it,<

my entire set-up. is based on the way i do it, with 14'' pieces of thick guage wire,

and it seems to work perfect,,,,

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Any updates on how the stringing method went? Any mold or other problems? Looks like a space saver if all goes well.

LeftyRighty

Founding Member
I strung Vir. Bright Leaf on 8 ft poles - had 5 of these full, relatively tight spacing, with 2 or 3 leaves in each bundle. Had no problem with mold or curing. It is a definitely a space saver. I counted leaf on a couple of these, and I got more the twice the leaf per foot on these poles than I normally got on wire-hanging.
IMG_0197.JPG
Only problem I encountered was, as the leaf was drying, if you bumped them, occasionally they would fall from the string.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
That looks good LR thanks for the update. Definately looks like something I will want to try. Will this Alabama humidity be a help or a problem?

Rayshields

I lived in Birmingham for 7 years and I remember the humidity and heavy dew in the morning. If you have it hung in a shed with air vents you will need to close the vents in the late afternoon and open them in the morning. If it is raining, keep them closed. If it looks like mold is starting, a small fan or two will be a big help. You have lots of heat so you have to balance drying too fast and turning the leaf green, with letting them mold...so too much air when it is green is not good either.

Rayshields

Those are some long leaves, LR. I put three leaves per loop, sometimes four, if they were small, and had no problem with mold...but then we had a very dry summer with low humidity and no dew

LeftyRighty

Founding Member
I had 95-105 degree high temps, with average to high humidity, during most of the curing time, and a small ocillating fan running 24/7. Humidity was mostly in 30-40 lows, but occasionally to the 80's - was in extreme drought all summer. I think the higher leaf density of stringing helped prevent drying-green. Also, I alternated leaf direction in each bundle, so they wouldn't curl together.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I strung Vir. Bright Leaf on 8 ft poles - had 5 of these full, relatively tight spacing, with 2 or 3 leaves in each bundle. Had no problem with mold or curing. It is a definitely a space saver. I counted leaf on a couple of these, and I got more the twice the leaf per foot on these poles than I normally got on wire-hanging.
View attachment 2061
Only problem I encountered was, as the leaf was drying, if you bumped them, occasionally they would fall from the string.

Exactly the same experience I had!...not only is it a real space saver but a real time saver too.

BarG

Founding Member
Exactly the same experience I had!...not only is it a real space saver but a real time saver too.

I had the same problem at first but found that by leaving more stem above the tie it slipped less. Plus a little practice on the wrap to keep leaves tight against pole. A great way to hang leaves.

Status
Not open for further replies.