Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Stringing Tobacco

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel

Banned
I gave this a try with the leaves from an ergo burley plant. it worked great for air curing. Quick way to hang a lot of leaf and they don't fall off.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
I string hang. I found a simple loop plus a reversed loop tightened easily and held. By reverse loop I mean -- If your ball of string is on the right, lay a couple of leaves on it and bring the string up over and under so it is still pointing left. Then simply make a loop in the string, put it over the stems and tighten. The first couple of times I did it the loop did not tighten. When I reversed it all went well. I like this method because 1.- It does not slip. 2. I can adjust spacing on the string based on leaf size. 3.- When taking down cured leaf to make hands for the kiln the string comes away freely with no knots. 4.- It's fast and easy.

John

Edit: Butchers string is strong enough for the job and cheap. Some butcher shops will give you a ball for free.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
I gave this a try with the leaves from an ergo burley plant. it worked great for air curing. Quick way to hang a lot of leaf and they don't fall off.

ive seen this video, in the past, and it seems to me as the leaf cures, it shrinks, thus the loop looseing, and the leaf falling,????

i thought about doing this,,,, this year, i have acess, to hundreds, of baccy stakes, that at one time did hang baccy,,,

but the method i use, of stringing them on a 12'' piece of thick wire, just works for me,

so i didnt venture, with my baccy stake experiment,

perhaps, i'll get some of these, stakes, and give 3 of them a try,

allthough ive picked most of my crop, i guess,i could strip some wire's of thier baccy and make a baccy stick,

it would be intrested to calculate, the leaf ammount,,,vs////the leaf space it took,

i may have a big crop, but im tight on a curing area, if i want to keep my crop close,

i have acess, to 2 drying barns, but they are far away,and i like to walk outside, and see my progress,

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I'm going to try that method this weekend. I have a bunch of Cyprus boards a buddy of mine brought back from the land of Chicken(aka Florida) so I decided I'll actually make me one of those stringing horses. I know that you don't actually need one to string ... but it looks cool

Grundle

Is that string attached to a nail on that stick? Also I wish they had a closeup so I could see the string as it is looped around. I have a good general idea, but I prefer preciseness. I suppose a little experimentation on my part will give me the entire picture.

BarG

Founding Member
I could try it on some 10' hurricane fence rails I have on hand,It could work for my bursa and ottoman with the long stem between leaf and stalk and theres so damn many per plant which is a good thing If I prime after harvest. I could make a stand on each end to hold 4-5 poles to start with. I wouldn't want to use that for some varietys or it would ruin the end of the leaf. I like that it could be mobil in case I sun cure some, or put any where covered to free up my main hanging area for the bigger leaves..

Unless its better to stalk cure the bursa and ottoman which would be even easier. I'm still a couple weeks away to decide.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Both of those varieties can be stalk cured. You just have to find a place high enough to hang them so the tops of the plants don't rest on the ground.

BarG

Founding Member
Both of those varieties can be stalk cured. You just have to find a place high enough to hang them so the tops of the plants don't rest on the ground.

Thats what I was hoping, I have up to 11' tall in a large covered area.
Thanks FmGrowit, I was hoping someone would help me decide.:cool:

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
well i triedmy luck at stringing some baccy this evening, then it went to raining,
but i got 3 done,

> we will see how it cures, i like the way i got a lot of leaves in very little space

>
stick001z.jpg

By chickenhawk434 at 2012-07-17
//
stick003.jpg

//
stick006.jpg

//
stick008.jpg

//
stick014.jpg

//
stick015.jpg

//
stick016.jpg

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Now that's funny, I just came in from my first attempt at stringing via my stringing horse. I gotta say, if this works it'll be the only way I prime tobacco in the future. I strung 40 leaves in about 5 minutes. Of course it took 10 minutes for me to get the hang of things ( like why did the tobacco keep falling on the floor?) but after that it went super quick. I haven't built my Cyprus Stringing Horse yet I just stuck a 1x4 furring strip in a portable vice/table.

I would imagine if someone was there to hand you the tobacco that you could probably string about triple that amount in the same amount of time.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
i took pic's of the first one,,, but the third one turned out the best

im sure, i'd get better, at tightening up, the leaves ,the more i do,

i didnt use a horse, i nailed one end down and propped it on a table,

BarG

Founding Member
My grow far exceded my expectations this year. So adapt and overcome.

Heres my idea for a temporary cure structure. A work in progress. I can make a few of these about 4 sections wide and 5 tiers at 4' between sections and each horizontal 6' long.
Tier height can be made for different lengths of leaves.

100_2126.jpg I can add tiers at any height and expand edgeways up to 3 more sections for each row.

An experiment in sun curing..

.....edit ..." My sun cure here is for the birds" Theys got to be a better way.They bursa is hanging in my shed now .

"100_2128.jpg

Last edited:

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
im thinking my next year's sun curing experiment,

will be something built, with wheels on one end,

so you can roll it away, to where you store it during rain, or bad days,?????

BarG

Founding Member
Im placing my bets on the weatherman this week. Yea thats why its a small scale xperimint.
Maybe a moterized pivot to follow the sun.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Tim, Looks just fine to me. I'll bet your lady likes the "temporary" part. It's kinda neat to see the old bar clamps in action. Some time ago my grown G-sons were in the cellar with me and asked "What are those Pop?"

John

BarG

Founding Member
Shes still covered for the time being in my space. Whats a bar clamp? Them poles was so twisted from setting out for a year that was the only way to make em look right. When I expand on each side I will tie them together with a board. They are c clamped at the top. It really is temporary, till next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.