Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Too much rain stunting growth!

Status
Not open for further replies.

darren1979

First Time Grower
Is it true too much rain/water can stunt a tobacco plants growth?

So far we've had the wettest May/June/July since records began in the u.k. and my plants are beginning to slow right down growth wise. There all around 2ft tall and maybe 4ft wide, look lush and green but just not going skywards.

Heres last months weather on weather underground http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/EGHI/2012/6/16/MonthlyHistory.html#calendar

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I believe that too much water dilutes the nutrients in the soil to the extent that the plant is not able to obtain what it needs. Additionally, the excess rain means there is a lack of sunshine, which is desperately needed for growth.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Also, keep in mind that if the soil drains too slowly, it may damage or kill the roots during prolonged rainy periods.

Bob

workhorse_01

Bob i believe root rot is what got me , as i couldnt get rid of the water. It was water shedding just moving across the neighborhood.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Last season we had rain at least every other day. The tobacco was healthy but when I dried it, it turned out thin with weak smoke.

Based on research on the web and comments I think it was the excessive rain that did that.

Aaron

Thanks for that link BigBonner! Very Helpful to have all that info on one page instead of doing multiple searches! I had to add that one to my favorites list.

darren1979

First Time Grower
Thanks for the answers guys, It seems i've got some root rot on two of my plants as well. Looked this morning and they were both lying on there side, looking closely at the stem were it meets the soil its turned brown like a rotten apple.

Is there anything that can be done for these plants?
The trouble i've got it seems that my soil is heavy in clay and its holding onto the water, before i started growing i added a lot of compost and sand but seems i didn't add nearly enough.
Thanks again Darren

BigBonner

Founding Member
Thanks for the answers guys, It seems i've got some root rot on two of my plants as well. Looked this morning and they were both lying on there side, looking closely at the stem were it meets the soil its turned brown like a rotten apple.

Is there anything that can be done for these plants?
The trouble i've got it seems that my soil is heavy in clay and its holding onto the water, before i started growing i added a lot of compost and sand but seems i didn't add nearly enough.
Thanks again Darren

No NO NO . Everyone needs to remember that just above the soil line the stalk will be brown and goes down to he roots . There will be a brown ring pefectly around the stalk . This is normal .If it is black and not perfect round it may be root rot .

darren1979

First Time Grower
No NO NO . Everyone needs to remember that just above the soil line the stalk will be brown and goes down to he roots . There will be a brown ring pefectly around the stalk . This is normal .If it is black and not perfect round it may be root rot .
Thanks for that, good job i checked here first before doing anything drastic. ill have to take a pic this evening and see what you think it is, the plant has gone all floppy and is laying on its side.

BarG

Founding Member

BigBonner

Founding Member
Thanks for posting that Big Bonner. A great site .

Doesn't drowning mean lack of oxygen if there is a lack of gills.

If the weather stays cool until the soil drys out the tobacco will sometimes come out of the drown ( Scald ) but if the sun pops out it will drop the tobacco and it will die .

BarG

Founding Member
If the weather stays cool until the soil drys out the tobacco will sometimes come out of the drown ( Scald ) but if the sun pops out it will drop the tobacco and it will die .

I'd say hope for some good cloud cover without the rain.

You sure you aint related to some certain some one who helped found RJ reynolds cause if you are I got some news for ya. All good.

darren1979

First Time Grower
Im such a tit, just a quick update i had a chance to have a good look at my plants today as the weather has turned for the better. The 2 plants i panicked over having root rot are fine, it looks like sum slugs have had a nibble on the stem and thats what made them topple over plus the high wind.
Just gonna set some more beer traps to get these bloody slugs and ill be a happy chappy.

Status
Not open for further replies.