Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Picture of Perique tobacco from the late 1800's

Status
Not open for further replies.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
This leaf doesn't look like most of the Burley's I've grown. I actually looks a lot more like Flue cured (to me) The picture is from a collection held by the Library of Congress and is listed as a Perique tobacco, but that really doesn't guarantee it is.

attachment.php

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
The plant clearly shown in the foreground, lower left, is identical to the "Perique" that I've grown from New Hope Seeds. Same leaf shape; same leaf angle; and same inter-node spacing. The leaf is narrower and a somewhat darker green than my Hickory Pryor (flue cure). It's slow to air-cure, having a tendency to dry green, and still has a slightly astringent edge after a month in the kiln. My impression is, despite what the old timers say in Louisiana, it's not a burley type. GRIN classifies it as "Oriental," and I believe that is also incorrect. Perhaps, "Primitive" would be more appropriate. It does bear resemblance to some primitive strains from Northern Mexico (e.g., Mt. Pima at Native Seed Search), to which the Choctaw and Chickasaw tribes would likely have had access.

Bob

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
From what I remember, most of the Orientals I've grown have a spade shaped leaf, but I've only grown about 20 different varieties.

bursacrop-crop.jpg

Bursa

Ottoman_HY__5_ft_high.jpg

Ottoman grown by JackinNB

Kavala.jpg

Kavala

Bafraseed-1.jpg

Bafra

Well, now that I look at the pictures, I guess my memory isn't what I thought it was.

Most of my pictures are on a different computer, I'll transfer more Orientals soon.

BarG

Founding Member
Those are some tall plants. Do you tote a ladder around to inspect and top those puppies, or just jump as high as you can to see what you can see.:D

I will be in for a few surprises this yr. even after doing my homework on several of my varietys most likely.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
From what I remember, most of the Orientals I've grown have a spade shaped leaf, but I've only grown about 20 different varieties.

bursacrop-crop.jpg

Bursa

Ottoman_HY__5_ft_high.jpg

Ottoman grown by JackinNB

Kavala.jpg

Kavala

Bafraseed-1.jpg

Bafra

Well, now that I look at the pictures, I guess my memory isn't what I thought it was.

Most of my pictures are on a different computer, I'll transfer more Orientals soon.

Great pics Don, How do you get the watermark?

John

Daniel

Banned
Don, that is a monster of a Bursa plant. Last year I was told that Bursa was crowded intentionally in order to produce the desired taste. Very crowded as in 3 inches between plants. I did that and mine grew 4 to 5 feet tall and very spindly. I cannot say if it gave me the flavor or not. I am going to space it like everything else this year. Nice to see what Bursa can look like.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Great pics Don, How do you get the watermark?

John

It's really not a watermark, but just a plain text overlay at about 50% transparency. I put a bunch of these together for another site where I was going to donate seeds to help with the costs of running the site, but the owner of the site started hearing voices and everything went to hell.

Don, that is a monster of a Bursa plant.

All my Bursa grows like that. Notice it is very cylindrical in shape, so spacing can be closer than with Burley or Cigar binder/wrapper. The best thing about Bursa from a commercial whole leaf perspective is it can be stalk cured and the leaf is big. The big leaf gives the end user something to work with. The only drawback is the leaf has to be stripped. The flavor of air cured, mature, stalk cured Bursa is very nice. I've rolled cigars using Bursa alone and everyone compliments on how nice they taste...they're my favorite too...makes beer taste like grape juice...to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.