Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Providing for the table

Steve2md

I'll poke around here. If I can find my stash of pecan, I'll send a few pounds of chips your way. I'll pm you if I find it (just moved so everything is hiding from me)

BarG

Founding Member
That smokehouse looks fine as all get out. Just don't forget your sign.{SMOKEHOUSE}HehHeh, And leave the steps off.;) Someboby have to climb to get in there.

Tom_in_TN

Oh yeah. Looks like a good build and from the way you desribed gathering all the material it didn't cost too much. Hope that works out for you.

Steve2md

There are a zillion brine recipes. Water, salt, brown sugar and cure are the basics. Do you add spices and if so what?

John[/QUOTE]

That's the beauty...add what you think will work the best and have fun with it. try contrasting flavors on a batch and complimenting on another, You'll be surprised

johnlee1933

Founding Member
OK The first burn test was a total failure (except it provided data). The junk grille has way too many vents and holes too high up on the body. All the smoke goes out them and none to my pipe. For testing I'll stuff most of them with steel wool. I have to wait till it cools down to do that. If that works I'll cut a piece of sheet metal to block as many of them as necessary as the permanent solution.

The good news is I got my big chipper blades replaced and I have quite a lot of hickory branches I can chip up to make smoke.

John

BarG

Founding Member
John,
I sure do like that fire box you have set up. I'd like to rework my old water tank smoker that way instead of a pit a few feet behind.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
John,
I sure do like that fire box you have set up. I'd like to rework my old water tank smoker that way instead of a pit a few feet behind.
Be careful Tim. I'm still having trouble getting smoke into the smokehouse and may have to rethink the whole thing. Even though I started plugging them there are still way too many smoke leaks for it to work as planned.

John

jeapadrenaline

John, i think you may have to get out a pick and shovel. Lower your firebox so the flue runs at an upward angle to the smokehouse. The steeper the angle the better. For cold smoking you could just place th firebox downhill further away. But if you are hot smoking, dig a bench so the fire box sits about 3 feet belo where it sits now. And use the dirt piled around the flue to insulate it to get hot smoke to the chamber.

BarG

Founding Member
Try some air conditioning duct tape around any leaks. I don't see any problems since your duct work is at least level or below with entry into smokehouse. Hot air rises. Its been working real good for Biden.:D

BarG

Founding Member
Being a southerner and all I didn't even think of any political implications. But now that you mention it : he is the smoke stack. Blowin smoke right up ........

johnlee1933

Founding Member
John, i think you may have to get out a pick and shovel. Lower your firebox so the flue runs at an upward angle to the smokehouse. The steeper the angle the better. For cold smoking you could just place th firebox downhill further away. But if you are hot smoking, dig a bench so the fire box sits about 3 feet belo where it sits now. And use the dirt piled around the flue to insulate it to get hot smoke to the chamber.
Thanks. You may be right but I'm not looking forward to it. The ground is SERIOUSLY rocky and I don't move big rocks like the old days. As an example my baccy growing is in raised beds.

John

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Try some air conditioning duct tape around any leaks. I don't see any problems since your duct work is at least level or below with entry into smokehouse. Hot air rises. Its been working real good for Biden.:D
You're right Tim but the problem seems to be the way the lid fits. It's not like the old Char Broil I once had. There is a big (planned?) air gap at the back where the lid joins the body. Sealing it gets tricky because it don't want to lose the "easy open" feature to feed and clean it. I haven't started brining yet so I'm under no time pressure. One way or another I'll get it solved.

John

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Something you might try is to heat the duct with a small propane torch just after you've lit the fire. That may start enough of an updraft to get it going in the right direction. Once the fire is doing the duct heating, it should maintain the draft.

Bob

Steve2md

For the digging, you could always rent a small trencher from HD or somewhere, They're usually only $100 a day or so