Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Providing for the table

BarG

Founding Member
Growing tobacco has seriously disrupted other activities I used to occupy my spare time.

For instance , Instead of me going hog hunting I bribe my son in law to drop off my grand kids and don't come back till you bring me a hog.100_2129.jpg

I used to keep 5-15 hogs on regular basis. If there had even been one hog in there it would be no green any where it could reach. I quit trapping when they started burning food for fuel.

Its a good thing I found something new.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
ive trapped many hogs in my day,

our trap was so big, they would sometimes be 4 trapped hogs in there, before one dummy, grabbed a bite to eat, and the trap door come down on them,,,,lol

we had a slide, mechanism on the truck, to where, we would slide, pigs/trap and all right in the truck, and unload them at the pen,,by raising the door back up,

and we have had some monster's pissed off boars, in there before,

you dont get but one in there, when he weigh's 400+ lbs.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
General questions for you pig hunters/trappers -- Where in the USA are there wild pigs. I have never heard of any in CT, NY , ME or VT. I looked at traps and spin feeders and now have a general idea of the method. After you trap them do you slaughter immediately or fatten first. Do they taste like domesticated pork? Do any of you folks salt or brine cure and smoke your pork?

You see I am thinking about building a small smoke house (4' X 4' X 8' tall) and preserving some bacon and a ham or two. My family did this when I was little and I remember it as tasting good. I can buy fresh sow belly and hams from a local wholesale house. I believe I can brine in 30 gallon food grade barrels. I then plan to roll them in black pepper and smoke (maple,hickory or apple wood).

If successful I'll have bacon that is cheaper than commercial and of superior quality and flavor. They put so much water in it these days it isn't hardly worth eating but it's the only game in town. To me salt ham is in a class by itself.

Thanks,

John

BigBonner

Founding Member
General questions for you pig hunters/trappers -- Where in the USA are there wild pigs. I have never heard of any in CT, NY , ME or VT. I looked at traps and spin feeders and now have a general idea of the method. After you trap them do you slaughter immediately or fatten first. Do they taste like domesticated pork? Do any of you folks salt or brine cure and smoke your pork?

You see I am thinking about building a small smoke house (4' X 4' X 8' tall) and preserving some bacon and a ham or two. My family did this when I was little and I remember it as tasting good. I can buy fresh sow belly and hams from a local wholesale house. I believe I can brine in 30 gallon food grade barrels. I then plan to roll them in black pepper and smoke (maple,hickory or apple wood).

If successful I'll have bacon that is cheaper than commercial and of superior quality and flavor. They put so much water in it these days it isn't hardly worth eating but it's the only game in town. To me salt ham is in a class by itself.

Thanks,

John

John
I used to kill my own tame hogs . If you get midlans or hams they need to be fresh . I always liked to kill one day, trim as soon as the meat was chilled and stiffened Then place them in salt / sugar cure the next day .
Let it age for one to two years and thats some good eatting . Mold on the outside is a good sign of age .
From what I hear wild hogs is something you don't want running around . I hear they can destroy a corn field in no time .They are multiplying in parts of Ky now .I haven't seen any yet , but I hear they are comming .

Now turkeys are good eatting and fun to hunt . I have a silage pile of 200 tons that I bed down 250 ft from my house . Every year there will be two bunches 18 to 20 each of goblers that come down and eat all winter long .
The hens don't seem to eat there very often , but the gobblers will hang around the pile . The only problem I have wth turkeys is they want to climb on my silage with the plastic cover on and they poke and tare holes in the plastic .

leverhead

johnlee1933, I was up your way a year ago. There was a guy SE of Clermont NH that made a hardwood/corn cob smoked bacon that was excellent. He had some other stuff I didn't get to try, he does a mail order buisness, I'll see if I can find the contact info.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
johnlee1933, I was up your way a year ago. There was a guy SE of Clermont NH that made a hardwood/corn cob smoked bacon that was excellent. He had some other stuff I didn't get to try, he does a mail order buisness, I'll see if I can find the contact info.

Thanks

J

indianjoe

Founding Member
Johnlee,
they are all over Alabama, Georgia, and Florida for sure, I've seen them. We generally set a trap with bait for a few weeks and then set the trap door. Usually you can catch quite a few at once, but have to move the trap, them hogs are smart. My nephew has 20+ hog dogs and hunts year round, averaging 1000 or more hogs. The dogs set the trail til the hogs get tired and cornered, then he sends in his catch dogs to hold them til they are killed. Its illegal to transport wild hogs here so they must be dead. The meat tastes better than domesticated hog, the wild ones know exactly what to eat. I know several people that hold the hogs til they are fed some corn to clean them out, just like possums :)

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Johnlee,
they are all over Alabama, Georgia, and Florida for sure, I've seen them. We generally set a trap with bait for a few weeks and then set the trap door. Usually you can catch quite a few at once, but have to move the trap, them hogs are smart. My nephew has 20+ hog dogs and hunts year round, averaging 1000 or more hogs. The dogs set the trail til the hogs get tired and cornered, then he sends in his catch dogs to hold them til they are killed. Its illegal to transport wild hogs here so they must be dead. The meat tastes better than domesticated hog, the wild ones know exactly what to eat. I know several people that hold the hogs til they are fed some corn to clean them out, just like possums :)

Thanks Joe, Do you brine and smoke, eat them fresh or just sell them?

John

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Pig is best fork soft.

My favorite part is the shoulder baked at 400 until well done and the fat rendered off the crispy skin, then I take the skin off and build a salad on top of it. Mmmm

BigBonner

Founding Member
I take my aged salt / sugar cured hams and soak in water for two days , changing the water twice a day . Then I trim off the dried outter parts . I place it in a big kettle and boil for about four hours .
After cooking on the stove I put blankets in my kitchen sink then place the hot kettle on top of the blankets then cover with more blankets .We call it putting the ham to bed .Leave it overnight and it will still be good and warm the next morning .

Rayshields

I take my aged salt / sugar cured hams and soak in water for two days , changing the water twice a day . Then I trim off the dried outter parts . I place it in a big kettle and boil for about four hours .
After cooking on the stove I put blankets in my kitchen sink then place the hot kettle on top of the blankets then cover with more blankets .We call it putting the ham to bed .Leave it overnight and it will still be good and warm the next morning .

Sounds delicious to me!

Tom_in_TN

Dangit, now that you all started talking about cooking and eating them hogs you have my attention....send me your addresses and when the 'pork' is expected to be finished cooking and I'll be there with a keg or 2....can I get an AMEN on that?

Boboro

They let you spot lite hog here if you let the man know what your doing. They say thir bad here but I ant seen but one and it looked like a pot belled pig It cooked like a pig.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
Dangit, now that you all started talking about cooking and eating them hogs you have my attention....send me your addresses and when the 'pork' is expected to be finished cooking and I'll be there with a keg or 2....can I get an AMEN on that?

amen<