Whole Leaf Tobacco
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: How to Intentionally Cross Tobacco Varieties

Quote Originally Posted by Tutu View Post
    Any idea at what point bagging became a more established practice?
    That's a difficult thing to pinpoint. Selective pollination of corn began around 1870, by removing the tassels of most stalks. A robust understanding of Mendel's earlier genetics research only began near the end of the 19th century and early 20th century. As late as Killebrew's authoritative 1898 book, Tobacco Leaf, isolation by 1 mile is described as the most effective method of maintaining a pure strain. So I would guess that bagging of blossoms for intentional tobacco and vegetable breeding likely began in the first decade of the 20th century.

Quote Originally Posted by DT Bowman, V Sission: A HISTORICAL OVERVIEW OF FLUE-CURED TOBACCO BREEDING IN THE U.S.A.
    Professional-level breeding of flue-cured tobacco was started in 1928 by Coker Pedigreed Seed Company in Hartsville, SC. Prior to this time, and up to the 1940s, farmers made selections and re-selections, marketing their own cultivars, which resulted in many identical lines grown under different names.

http://www.tobaccoscienceonline.org/...2-4623-44.1.59
    Bob

Can Rustica tobacco plants cross with standard Havana ?. I want to grow two or three types this year.
    IMG_20170414_002858630_LI.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Unless you attempt a large number of crosses (say 100), you are not likely to get seed from an attempt to cross N. tabacum with N. rustica, in either direction. Seed that might form from the cross is often sterile.

Bob

EDIT: Are you aiming for a rustica that tastes better, or a Havana that tastes worse?

From a paper on Delgold. Sounds complicated, don't it?
    Pedigree and Breeding MethodsDelgold was developed in an inter-specifichybridization study. A colchicine-derivedtetraploid (4n) Nicotiana tabacum L. 'Vir-ginia 1 l5' was crossed in 197 | to a deploid(2n) female parent from N. rustica L. 'Ba-bor'. The resultant interspecific hybrid didnot produce seed on selfing indicating ste-rility. However, repeated pollination of thehighly sterile F, inter-specific hybrid withdiploid (2n) Virginia 115 produced a fewbackcross-one (BC,) seed in 1972. TheseBC, progenies were grown in a breedingnursery in 1913 for their agronomic, mor-phological and chemical characterization.Most of the BC, progenies were off-typesCan. J. Pfant Sci. 64t 233-236 (Jan. 1984)233with a bushy habit of growth and high de-gree of sterility. An individual BC' selec-tant, with high leaf total alkaloids, wasbackcrossed to N. tqbacwn 'Hicks Broad-leaf' as a diploid female parent in thegreenhouse. A selected high leaf total al-kaloid genotype from the second backcross(BCr) generation was further backcrossedas the female parent with a diploid Virginia115. Normal floral fertility and flue-curedtobacco phenotype were restored amongthe segregants of the BC, generation. Sub-sequent to the BC. generation, individualplant selection and selfing were carriedout, and by 1976 a fully fertile diploidstrain 76N2 was evaluated in an early gen-eration testing program. A set of sevenwell-differentiated sister-1ines, based onleaf dimension and shape, plant type andcolor, was established from the 76N2 bulkpopulation. Performance evaluations con-ducted under the designation 76N2-E iden-tified the strain to be superior to its othersister-lines and the check cultivar Virginia115. Certified seed production began in1 980.
    This blanket is a necessity. It keeps me from cracking up. It may be regarded as a spiritual tourniquet. Without it, I'd be nothing, a ship without a rudder. - Linus

ourch la chine ! headache ! i go smoking...lol

This is definitely something I intend to try in a few years. The tough challenge is what makes my eyes glow. But first I think it'd be good to learn more about normal n. tabacum crossing and hybrids.

I wanted to keep them separate and collect seeds without crossing. I see the techniques shown earlier, I'll just bag a few of each and let the bees enjoy the rustica and top the Havana.

Quote Originally Posted by deluxestogie View Post
    Unless you attempt a large number of crosses (say 100), you are not likely to get seed from an attempt to cross N. tabacum with N. rustica, in either direction. Seed that might form from the cross is often sterile.

Bob

EDIT: Are you aiming for a rustica that tastes better, or a Havana that tastes worse?

Now I understand your post. It's not about "How to Intentionally Cross Tobacco Varieties."

Yup. Just bag them.

Bob

Stupid question but if a plant cross pollinates naturally do the plants that are growing take on the characteristics of the crossed plants or is it just the seed?

If the flowers cross pollinate, the plants growing from the resulting seeds take on characteristics of the parent plants, thus those plants from the two flowers that crossed.
    However, you are indeed raising another question. In the case of a N. rustica and N. tabacum, what would the seeds look like.
    Rustica seeds are larger than tabacum seeds. Would that be determined by the female side of the cross?
    Or would the seeds be an average of the sizes of rustica and tabacum?
    Bob?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast