Whole Leaf Tobacco
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Re: How to Intentionally Cross Tobacco Varieties

Quote Originally Posted by MarcL View Post
    this sounds borderline vulgar. you sure you didn't pull it out of penthouse forum magazine?
    Let's be clear. This is explicitly describing plant sex. Flowers are pretty, but they are plant sex organs. Flowers smell nice only for the purpose of coaxing other species to assist them in their sexual activity.

So if this sounds suspiciously sexual, that's because it is sexual.

Bob
    Last edited by deluxestogie; 05-24-2017 at 09:39 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by deluxestogie View Post
    Let's be clear. This is explicitly describing plant sex. Flowers are pretty, but they are plant sex organs. Flowers smell nice only for the purpose of coaxing other species to assist them in their sexual activity.

So if this sounds suspiciously sexual, that's because it is sexual.

Bob
    My apologies, I meant to say, this sounds explicit. you could write for Planthouse Forum Magazine?
    Last edited by deluxestogie; 05-24-2017 at 09:39 AM. Reason: typo
    tobacco, roll with it...

https://link.springer.com/article/10...888814?LI=true
    According to this research article, ionizing radiation applied to the pollen can aid in pollen tubes' ability to successfully fertilize crosses between rustica and tabacum. This suggests to me that Bob's explanation in post# 49 is exactly right.

Also since I have cobalt 60 and iridium 192 at my disposal at work, it gives me ideas.
    This blanket is a necessity. It keeps me from cracking up. It may be regarded as a spiritual tourniquet. Without it, I'd be nothing, a ship without a rudder. - Linus

Problem is, you aren't growing any rustica this year, right? Something for 2018 perhaps?

Super Moderator

So much work stabilizing a hybrid, I wish you guys the best.

What traits would you try to fix in the cross? What features would you like to increase or decrease? Many of the crosses seem straight forward like adding disease resistance. It's simple to attempt to kill off the first gen and save seed from the survivors, maybe rinse and repeat. But with flavors or other compounds you'd need to save every seed from every offspring and sample everything before replanting.

What a huge endeavor.

Jessica has the right idea, gene splicing or whatever it was she was talking about. Bam.

Why aren't you using a crispr kit to make new strains?

Quote Originally Posted by Tutu View Post
    Problem is, you aren't growing any rustica this year, right? Something for 2018 perhaps?
    I am not, but if anyone wants to mail me pollen, I can irradiate it and send it back.
    This blanket is a necessity. It keeps me from cracking up. It may be regarded as a spiritual tourniquet. Without it, I'd be nothing, a ship without a rudder. - Linus

Quote Originally Posted by SmokesAhoy View Post
    So much work stabilizing a hybrid, I wish you guys the best.

What traits would you try to fix in the cross? What features would you like to increase or decrease? Many of the crosses seem straight forward like adding disease resistance. It's simple to attempt to kill off the first gen and save seed from the survivors, maybe rinse and repeat. But with flavors or other compounds you'd need to save every seed from every offspring and sample everything before replanting.

What a huge endeavor.

Jessica has the right idea, gene splicing or whatever it was she was talking about. Bam.

Why aren't you using a crispr kit to make new strains?
    I'm not planning on doing it, personally. I am curious though whether the pollen experiment could be duplicated.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456