Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

i got mold issues, '' suggestions'' on what to do???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
i just come in from doing a thourough inspection, of my hanging leaves, and found about 4 in the very front, with a little mold on them,
it has been very humid, and rainy, here,
my shed,'s front is wide open, and gets good air circulation,
but im thinking that when it's raining i may need to run a oscillating fan, in there, or perhaps i should run a fan full time?????

prime006.jpg

By chickenhawk434 at 2012-07-15
//
moldandanna004.jpg

By chickenhawk434 at 2012-07-23
//
moldandanna005.jpg

//
moldandanna006.jpg

//
moldandanna007.jpg

any suggestions, on what would be the best thing to do, to prevent this???????:confused:

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Most of the Amish farmers I see will open the barns during hot dry days but they are always closed at night and when it is raining. Maybe you should hang a tarp like a shower curtain and close it during rainy weather. If you have the room you could also take a propane tank like you would use for a bar-b-que and fire it up. The heat should dry out the air, provided you have closed of the front of your shed.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Chicken, I think the humidity up here is not as high as where you are. I still run the ceiling fan 24/7. I have a couple of humidifiers that will run without water and each has two nice fans in it. When I am hanging fresh leaf I'll run one or both of them depending on how much I hang. I think you definitely need a fan or two to keep the air moving. My space is an enclosed sun porch. The nice thing about that is that I can add humidity when it gets too dry here.

Good luck,
John

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
would it be wise, to put the fan on a timer, to run for 15 minutes, each hour?

or just have it run full time???

Boboro

Its so dam humid here you need gills to catch your breath.the sun is on the shead and the dryed tobacco is dry.I'M GONNa run a fan 1 hour till sunset till 10 AM when the sun shine'n and all time when couldy. I have to work on some cords to get out thir.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Get the air moving whatever you have to do. Keep the doors and windows open until you get it under control. One teaspoon of baking soda in a pint of water will kill the mold and prevent it from growing on whatever you spray. Be careful though, because this will raise the ph of the leaf suitable more for a cigar then a cigarette.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
Chicken you must keep the %RH at or below 70% mold wont grow below 70%.

i havent put a rh meter in there,

but, im gonna put the ones i got in there, in different spots, to get a average # for the rh,

also, im gonna close it up, tight, in the front, with some tin,

i didnt have these issues last year????????

and a fan, running full time,

i hadnt used a fan in there, because i thought it would make the leaf dry green,

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
a lot of it has colour cured,

i guess it's time to hand it up and throw it in the kiln,????

Rayshields

Increasing the temperature decreases the relative humidity. Any sun angle to use some black plastic or black material to raise the temperature in your drying area? The fans work too...maybe slower.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
where would be the best place to put this oscillating 6'' fan???

blowing across the top,,,, the middle,,,,,,or the bottom of the shed,?????

it's raining RIGHT NOW, just a sprinkle, but this is why im having these issues,

so i aint closed it in yet,,, but ive spotted the materials around in the yard im gonna use { us rednecks dont throw nothing away,,, that may be used in a future project lol<}

2 ful;l sheets of tin,,,, and a big piece of black plastic, i use to cover my chicken-poop, [ 2 tons] each year,,,

so that plastic, after a good spraying, will be used,

but what position would be best for air movement,??? thru a bottom to top, packed shed,

workhorse_01

Chicken when are you coming back my way ? I have a dehumidifier you can use till you get one. It will pull 4 gal. per day out of the air on max @ 120 volt A/C.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
Chicken when are you coming back my way ? I have a dehumidifier you can use till you get one. It will pull 4 gal. per day out of the air on max @ 120 volt A/C.

let me see how, this fan, and closing it in does,

i havent placed, my guages in there yet, '' it's raining''

but let me see what i can do, and i may look for one of them, at the flea-market,,,

and i'll be your way in the morning, im going to exit 90,,, to abil ga, i think it's called????

i'll be rolling thru at abouit 4 a.m.,,,, so keep sleeping brotha, i got this humidity under control.

i'll close it in a nd put a space heater, or heat lamps in there, if it takes it<

i'd prefer, it to dry a lot longer, before throwing it in the kiln,

BarG

Founding Member
I had a few of my first mudlugs and flyers get a black mold when it was raining every day and staying in a heavy case. There were a few partial filled stingers worth that were coler cured on the leafs but the stems were still not dry. I eliminated that particular area for drying as it was more prone it seems . My main hanging areas have had no problems[yet ] But I gave everything more space for better air flow.Temps are rising and rains are farther and fewer between. Mine was a black mold Chicken that started on the most cured part of the leaf and worked its way up and on the stem. It never realy had a chance to grow before I caught it and separated before disposing.

Tom_in_TN

Chicken, with the constant rain the best thing to do is exactly what you are thinking. Close things up, add some heat and keep a fan running full time, just enough to keep the air moving. That will dry things down to a better level. I would aim to keep that running until the leaves start feeling like they are in low to medium case. When we were getting constant rain here the RH registered 95 to 98 humidity in my carport which is open on all sides. I got my leaf hanging in a big barn with lower RH so there is less worry for now but things can change. Hope the weather patterns change so you guys can get dried out.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
i got the fan, on full time,

didnt get the shed closed in, due to rain<

perhaps this evening,

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
^^^^^^

are you a vampire,????

your allways up, late,