Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

wazzappennings 1st year glow log

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
ok so im curious, does the leaf have to meet all the properties were talking about, snaping like celery, yellowing, and alligator texture, or can it be any of the above? ive got some of each (only one textured) but none with all.

im going to snag the yellowing very bottom leaves today, but do i wait for the others to show more signs?

my plants are exploding in height, and some of the leaf seems to be getting larger as well. to get more of a yield i would like to wait till i have to pick those, but i dont want to go overripe.
I think you can assume if you see yellowing the leaf is mature. Since I have picked brown sand lugs off the ground and used them I don't believe over ripe is an issue. Obviously if they lie on the ground and rot it's another story.

John

wazzappenning

i as unsure if some of my yellow were from lack of sun from heavy cover from the other leaves.

can you use those brown ones right away, or do you let them age some?

what about the other leaves though? i have trouble going in there without a couple snaping in half

DonH

i as unsure if some of my yellow were from lack of sun from heavy cover from the other leaves.

can you use those brown ones right away, or do you let them age some?

what about the other leaves though? i have trouble going in there without a couple snaping in half

You can smoke the ones at the bottom of the stalk that turned brown right away. They will be very smooth with a cigar-like flavor.

Steve2md

and delicious....There are guys on here that will roll puros in the field and smoke 'em while they work.

wazzappenning

yeah my virginia and gold seal burley mix was quite mild, and pretty good.

heres some last pics before i started harvesting some bottom leaves,(that huge leaf is now higher than my 5 ft fence), and then my two short sticks of horse stringing. i used chairs, so i guess mine is chair stringing.

i suppose its time to do most of the plants as i read somewhere in here that letting the tobacco get ripe gave you inferior tobacco. i believe he said at the first sign be it snapping stalk, any noticeable change in color, or gator texture, he harvested. what i dont know is if he harvested the single leaf, or all of them. anyone???

08252012166.jpg

08252012164.jpg

08272012167.jpg

Brown Thumb

Nice Looking Hanging. I would let the burley grow some more, some more yellowing on the smaller leaves.I grew some 509 and it looks just like yours. Do not be impatient. Let it yellow up a little bit. It will not be long.
Tom

wazzappenning

thanks, but that first stick is actually horrible( right) the one on the left i actually started figuring out he proper technique via watching those fast paced vids.

the ones i hung had any of those signs of being ripe, or it snaped halfway while being in the garden. im not sure if it grows too well once youve snapped it in half?

when you say the burley, are you reffering to that big leaf? or just prime only what turns yellow ?

the largest leaf you can see in there is the same one i pictured with a $50 bill. unfortunately it snapped while i was in there.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Wazz, I think the comment you may be remembering was Bob talking to me about picking cigar tobacco a little before full maturity to get a milder smoke (my particular goal). I don't remember reading anything negative about going to maturity for cigs or full flavor applications.

John

indianjoe

Founding Member
Wazz,
an old tobacco farmer told one time to pick Virginia varieties when mature and not let them hang longer. The flavor hanging longer than mature seems harsher, not as flavorful and not necessarily stronger. I have tried it this year but have not results as of yet.
How close are you til frost? If a frost was emminent, those leaves would be color curing, hanging in my shed. Three weeks or so after blooming they usually come in da barn.

wazzappenning

indianjoe

Founding Member
Wazz,
I start priming when the bottom leaves as they get ready, however some varieties do not show those characteristics, and gather the entire stalk for harvest three weeks after blooming.

wazzappenning

well, just an update. i think i will grow less next year until i get the timing down and get things right. since everything i did this year was late, so was harvest. i had too many other things going on and once again i did things too late. so i ended up with my hang freezing/thawing. some browned, but when i saw it was going to be permanently freezing temps, i moved them inside. the humidity in the house is about 55-60. some browned more, but now most of my harvest is hanging green and dry.

its sad because i did get a good quantity of leaf out of it.

i was going to try to revive some by hanging it in the bathroom, and hope the shower steam brings it back, but now im noticing white stuff between the layers of leaves. so all that hard work kind of went nowhere. i did smoke some of it, but not the majority.

harvesting earlier i think is the key, but growing less next year will be less of a disappointment if all goes wrong.

btw, any way to help the leaves start yellowing?

Lakota

Founding Member
Wazz you maybe should try some plants that mature early. Some will be ready in 55 to 60 days. If you got them in the ground around June 1st you could be harvesting by the end of July. Give you a month more drying time. Just a thought. Russ

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Try boxing up the fresh green leaf and leaving in a warm spot, worked great for me and fast to until temps started falling.

wazzappenning

lakota, i was looking at the silver river. looked like an early one. (good to see youre still around,hadnt seen any recent posts)

smokes, i remoistened some of my scraps and have them in a ziplock under a cabinet where the forced air furnace blows underneath. its an experiment based on dashboard curing and i will see if it works. i did the box curing thing with them but in the house. they eventually just dried out.

however i fear that most of the stuff i have hanging in the basement has gotten moldy, so i dont think ill salvage much if any to try to make smokeable.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Yeah it happens. I noticed the stuff that dries and is remoistened molds a lot faster than fresh green leaf thrown into a box and left for a couple weeks.

My current experiment is leaf that dried with a good portion still green shredded and placed in a bag with enough hot water to be slightly wet. Gonna let that go a week and check for smell, to see if that rich tobacco aroma is released. If so I will dehydrate it down to low case and see how the smoke tastes. If no change in smell I will wait longer, till it starts to mold and see if the smell ever gets better . It works for the snus crowd but I won't be adding any other ingredients .

Lakota

Founding Member
Wazz Yea made it back, the move was a pain. Still waiting for high speed ( Monday) and living out of boxes. The place we got has 2.5 acres, so have lots of room for the tobacco and a garden. It has 4 out buildings for curing, hopefully all will be good

wazz I think gold dollar and big gem are 2 that mature in 55 to 60 days. I have a few of each to grow for seed. I could send you 20 or so of each Russ

wazzappenning

well i dont think much browning happened in the bag. some did but im not sure if its due to variety. however, a chunk of the browned scraps that have been in that bag for about a month tasted like what i remember pipes smelling like as a kid. this was just put at the beginning of a cig.

i guess it doesnt matter now since i loaded up two garbage bags with my green with white mold in between leaves, and set them at the curb last week. goodbye hard work.

Lakota

Founding Member
Wazz Sorry about your luck on the leaves. I will ship out some seeds this week to you, hopefully things go better this year. Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.