Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Greetings from AZ

Status
Not open for further replies.

azsmokenhunt

Good morning!
I just got invited by my buddy Chicken to come see what this board is all about, wand from what i've seen so far, it's much better than that other board I was on.
Needless to say, the depth of information here is great, and the kindred spirit of tobacco flourishes!
I'm admittedly a noob when it comes to growing tobacco, and I suspect I'll have to wait till next year for a crop, but if anyone knows of a variety that will grow to maturity in 16 Weeks or less, and be smokable, i'm all ears.
Aside from that, easy growers, smooth smokers, and ryo cig types are what i'm most interested in.
As for my growing skills, I have tomato plants a tall as myself...6'4", and taller...
Gang, thanks in advance for your wisdom, sharing of knowledge, and having done understanding with my noob questions!
Have a great day!
Dave

Rayshields

Welcome aboard the forum! Lots of information and experimentation and grins to be found here. Daniel lives in a short growing area and will be a good resource for you.

azsmokenhunt

I think chicken was looking out fit me in that I have a huge thirsty for knowledge, and the other sources I was using weren't the greatest, so he pointed me here, and for that I am grateful.Anyone else have acutely clay based soil?For my vegetables, I amended my soil with 15 tons of composted manure, and a few shots of miracle grow, and the results are astounding.I'm thinking that tobacco will flourish if given the opportunity, but if i'm going after it for this season, I need something that's ready in 12-15 Weeks, unless is Hardy to soft frosts, in which case I can probably get another 2 to 3 Weeks of growing out of it.I figure I have room for about 20 plants, a few more if I turn over a couple beds that are almost done producing.Ideas gang? Fast growing strains?

leverhead

I need something that's ready in 12-15 Weeks

If you're starting from seed, just getting seedlings is going to chew up half of that. I think you'd be setting yourself up for a disappointment. If you can handle that, "Gold Dollar" is supposed to be a short season variety. Tobacco is such a cool plant to watch grow.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Any friend of chickens will fit right in, welcome

As to getting started I'm up north and waited till what I was pretty sure was the latest to start seed and that was mid April and now with the days getting shorter and the temps starting to come down I'm getting a Tad nervous. I would say sure start it asap, but you will need mother natures full cooperation to get halfway decent leaf. But what can it hurt? You'll also have some idea of what to expect next season so why not?

Aaron

Welcome to the forum Dave! It is a bit late to start seed but like the guys say, it could still be useful experience for next year. I still have a few seeds left that I'd be willing to part with. All three varieties I have are supposed to mature fairly quick. I'll add some links for the seeds I have. I don't have a lot left but i bet I could easily part with 20 or so of each.
If you are interested send me a PM with your info.

http://sustainableseedco.com/KY-8635.html

http://sustainableseedco.com/White-Mammoth-Tobacco-Seeds.html

http://sustainableseedco.com/-Little-Dutch-Tobacco-Seeds.html

I had great germination from these seeds, probably about 95%

Aaron

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
glad you took my advicem and joined this ACTIVE site, and left that ghost town other, one<

thiers a thread here, about buying live plants,

the guys name is big-bonner,

he sells, live bigger plants,,,,,ships them thru the mail,

i dont know if he has any more left,,,,might want to shoot him a p.m.

look in the forum, at the bottom of the page,,,, thats where, the thread is,

azsmokenhunt

I figure it's pretty simple.
I already grow my own food, butcher my own meat, we make our own soap, chapstick, pit stick, and lotions.
We make most of what we consume already, why not smokes too?
Thanks to everyone for such an overwhelmingly warm welcome, too.
Aaron, look for a pm in short order. Worst case I learn a few things. Best case, we get some smoke out of it, and plenty of seed for next year!

Aaron

Dave, I got the seeds out in the mail today. Hopefully you'll see them early next week. Good luck and happy growing. :)

azsmokenhunt

Wow!
What a great surprise to find after a brutal day at the shop!
Kudos to chicken for pointing me here, and double kudos to everyone here sharing info, knowledge, and seed!
Dave

azsmokenhunt

And to Aaron, a huge kudos, thank you, and three thumbs up!
The seeds arrived today!
Tomorrow, a trip to the big orange store for more peat pots, virgin putting soil, and some plastic for a makeshift greenhouse!
Reappropriate a couple pallets from the shop, and we're of to the races!
Woo hoo!!

Status
Not open for further replies.