Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Ever wonder how much Nitrogen to add?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Ever wonder how much Nitrogen you should add for your tobacco? I've been curious so I did a little digging around and this is what I found:

The University of Kentucky says to add 250-300#/ Acre if you have low N and 150-200# if you have high N. If your levels are normal then you add 50# of N on a continual basis. I do not know what "low" or "high" means since they never give a baseline but they do say that a good crop of Burley can remove 200#. So maybe this is the baseline to use.. Also note that this is for Burley, other tobaccos will have different requirements.

The Virginia Cooperative Extension in their "2008 Burley Tobacco Production Guide" says to add 175-200#/acre regardless of whether you have low, med or high N levels. They suggest you get better results if you split the application with one applied at transplant and the other applied several weeks later.

The University of Tennessee says to add 180#/acre.

The "Journal of Ag Science" Volume 4, No 2: 2012 did an experiment with potted plants and determined the best rate was 40#/acre

The Cuba Junky website (this is cigar leaf as opposed to Burley) says to add 115# for shade and 110# for sun grown tobacco. They had many recommendations so I averaged them.

Killebrew in his classic book on tobacco from the 1800's lists about a dozen fertilizer formulas that have been "used with great success". These range from 70-170#/acre.

Back in 1998 I had my soil tested and I had 45# of N. I've never added any N other than growing a few cover crops. I just had my soil tested again this spring and I had 47#'s. I like my tobacco. I've never had any issues such as stunted growth, yellowing leaves etc. So I am tempted to say that 45 #'s of N is adequate for tobacco. This year though I added enough N to raise my soil levels up to 80#'s. We shall see if there is some type of improvement over the last 14 years or so.

So that's how much you need to add... 45 to 300#/acre...... clear as mud right?

Actually, what I would recommend is to get your soil tested and note the nutrient levels. If you grow a nice crop and are happy with it then use your soil test as a baseline for how much nutrients you need. If your tobacco crop is sub par, then add nutrients based on the experts advise, even if there is not a consensus.

Nitro-Man-Ran

leverhead

The soil around here, SE Texas, has very low Nitrogen. I put down about 40 Lb/ Acre equivalent, for Virginia's, Maryland's and Turkish. Next year I think I'll only use 30. I didn't get a real soil test done this year, I'm going to change that also! I broadcast and tilled it in, next year with wider row spacing, I think I'll do it in bands.

darren1979

First Time Grower
That clears it up then, ill just have to work out the size of my little patch compared to an acre then bobs your uncle. Can too much Nitrogen be bad for baccy? next year im testing my soil as there was no need this year as it was virgin/grass before.

leverhead

Jitterbugdude, I should have thanked you for your post! I'm still under the influence of my morning fog. Pulling together that information in a single place should save allot of hours!

BigBonner

Founding Member
Ever wonder how much Nitrogen you should add for your tobacco? I've been curious so I did a little digging around and this is what I found:

The University of Kentucky says to add 250-300#/ Acre if you have low N and 150-200# if you have high N. If your levels are normal then you add 50# of N on a continual basis. I do not know what "low" or "high" means since they never give a baseline but they do say that a good crop of Burley can remove 200#. So maybe this is the baseline to use.. Also note that this is for Burley, other tobaccos will have different requirements.

The Virginia Cooperative Extension in their "2008 Burley Tobacco Production Guide" says to add 175-200#/acre regardless of whether you have low, med or high N levels. They suggest you get better results if you split the application with one applied at transplant and the other applied several weeks later.

The University of Tennessee says to add 180#/acre.

The "Journal of Ag Science" Volume 4, No 2: 2012 did an experiment with potted plants and determined the best rate was 40#/acre

The Cuba Junky website (this is cigar leaf as opposed to Burley) says to add 115# for shade and 110# for sun grown tobacco. They had many recommendations so I averaged them.

Killebrew in his classic book on tobacco from the 1800's lists about a dozen fertilizer formulas that have been "used with great success". These range from 70-170#/acre.

Back in 1998 I had my soil tested and I had 45# of N. I've never added any N other than growing a few cover crops. I just had my soil tested again this spring and I had 47#'s. I like my tobacco. I've never had any issues such as stunted growth, yellowing leaves etc. So I am tempted to say that 45 #'s of N is adequate for tobacco. This year though I added enough N to raise my soil levels up to 80#'s. We shall see if there is some type of improvement over the last 14 years or so.

So that's how much you need to add... 45 to 300#/acre...... clear as mud right?

Actually, what I would recommend is to get your soil tested and note the nutrient levels. If you grow a nice crop and are happy with it then use your soil test as a baseline for how much nutrients you need. If your tobacco crop is sub par, then add nutrients based on the experts advise, even if there is not a consensus.

Nitro-Man-Ran

Applying nitrogen will more depend on your soil needs . My test came back this year and I needed 600 to 770 pounds per acre. Half applied pre plant and the other side dressed in .

Tom_in_TN

I have used a Crimson Clover cover crop to supply the nitrogen fix for my crop for many years. Studies have found a CC crop that is cut when the flowers are about 1/2 through the seed formation stage, then tilled into the soil will contribute between 120 lbs/ac to 185 lbs/ac of nitrogen, depending on a host of variables. Perhaps a side dressing of a good quality commercial fert would be useful too, depending on the soil type.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
well , now that im in the fertilizer business,{ delivering it only }

i have a pamplet they give customers for free, and on the back it has this,

tobacco { flue cured] YIELD PER ACRE = 3,000 lbs. [ which includes leaves stalk e,t,c,] N 126 P 26 K 257 Mg 24 S 19

trobacco [ burley] YIELD PER ACRE 4,ooo lbs, N 290 P 37 K 321 Mg 33 S 24

this is for super rainbow fertilizer,

the database source is; potash & phospahte institute,

and this booklet has a lot of crops listed,

what it means i have no clue, but thats the numbers,

i was told that the perfect fert, mix for baccy , is npk, 4-8-12
and again i was told the perfect mix was 3-9-18

it's very confusing to say the least,

but i get these numbers, from a professional fertilizing mix company i work for,

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
i was told that the perfect fert, mix for baccy , is npk, 4-8-12
and again i was told the perfect mix was 3-9-18

The perfect mix for tobacco is one that is based on your own soil test results. Someone might have high Phosphorous and Calcium and someone else might have low Phosphorous and Potassium but adequate Calcium. They would both need two totally different mixes.

SmokeStack

Can too much Nitrogen be bad for baccy?

Darren, you have to be careful WHEN you add your nitrogen. It should be added in the early stages of plant growth. Later on you should discontinue adding nitrogen fertilizer or else you wil have a difficult time color curing your tobacco. Please note that I am not speaking from experience, but I have read from several sources about fertilizing tobacco and they all concur.

Also, you should try to use a fertilizer that contains NO CHLORINE (Chloride) - 2% or less - since chloride can impair the smoking characteristics of tobacco.

As far as adding too much nitrogen, I am not sure - as long as you don't overdo it and burn your tobacco.

darren1979

First Time Grower
Thanks SmokeStack,
I guess the only way im going to find out what i need is get a test done and come back to the fountain of knowledge and ask you guys what i should do. With out this forum and its members i would of been pissing in the wind this season.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
i read somehwere, that if you have a wet season, you may need to add more nitrogen?

it has rained in florida, everyday for 50 + days,

and now my sucker crop is coming in, and it being so wet im thinking it is going to need more nitrogen,

i have some ammonium nitrate for it,

anyone heard of a wet season, making the plants need more nitrogen???:confused:

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
I understand too much water flushes it out of the root zone.

thats kind of what ive read, but i read and try to take up so much knowledge about baccy,

i cant absorb it all.

but i know i read,,,,,a lot of rain, will make you need to re-nitrogen it,

just wanted to make sure i was correct,

i have 3 gallons of pure nitrogen,

BUT IT'S RAINING RIGHT NOW<<<<<!!!!!!!!

BarG

Founding Member
thats kind of what ive read, but i read and try to take up so much knowledge about baccy,

i cant absorb it all.

but i know i read,,,,,a lot of rain, will make you need to re-nitrogen it,

just wanted to make sure i was correct,

i have 3 gallons of pure nitrogen,

BUT IT'S RAINING RIGHT NOW<<<<<!!!!!!!!
Aint you never heard the rain song.

Rainy day, rain all day don't let my nitrogen wash away.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
shit!!!!!!!!

even the frog's around here, are building houses,

they quit croaking for more rain weeks ago<

i cant recall, when it's rained this regularlly,

and im a native,

the ground is so wet right now,

that if a hurricane rolled thru, thier would be hundreds of uprooted trees,

a lot of trees have allready uprooted,

and area's that are capable of holding water, are full, if not flodded,

so if i get cut-off from the store,

we got cows across the street, and i got my own tobacco, [ so food and smokes are took care of ]

but if the woamn n eeds some toilet paper, i may have to dig out the canoe,

////////////////////////////////////////////////////

im sure any ground fert's ive applied have been washed away,,,,

i even got plants that laid down due to the ground being too wet,

if it slacks up before it gets dark, im adding this pure nitrogen,

'' thats why i brought it home today''

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
What kind of pure nitrogen do you have? liquid, granular? How much you going to add?
I gave a few of my sucker crop plants a dose of Potassium Nitrate just to see what happens.
Randy B

BigBonner

Founding Member
Each variety of tobacco has different nutrient needs . Burley fertilizer is different than flue cured tobacco and cigar needs more nitrate than burley or flue . Orientels can grow with less fertilizer than any other types of tobacco I have grown .

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
What kind of pure nitrogen do you have? liquid, granular? How much you going to add?
I gave a few of my sucker crop plants a dose of Potassium Nitrate just to see what happens.
Randy B

thats what i got,

a potassium nitrate, with potash [ 20-20-20]

does baccy like pure sulfur,?

i got acess to that also,0-0-0- 90 {sulfur ]

im around so much stuff, the incsectiside, is what is baffling me,

all these different ingrediants, mainly for citrus purposes,

i just want something, that will kill suck-flies, aphids,

i got the hornworms, poision,

Status
Not open for further replies.