Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Why were the Shredders send UPS and not USPS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarG

Founding Member
We have the best postal delivery in the world dating back to the pony express.

I know someone will beat me up on this but it was before my time.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Re: Group buy to test Powermatic shredder

We have the best postal delivery in the world dating back to the pony express.

I know someone will beat me up on this but it was before my time.

You should start another thread in the General forum for this topic. It will likely turn into a 25 page debate. I'll use about 10 of those myself siting problems with the post office.

BarG

Founding Member

Thats okay, I knew I would get beat up, I'm a glutton for punishment.:rolleyes:

BarG

Founding Member

You should start another thread in the General forum for this topic. It will likely turn into a 25 page debate. I'll use about 10 of those myself siting problems with the post office.

Being on the recieving end your stuff always comes through!

johnlee1933

Founding Member

OK Don, Move it over like you did J & J

Say what you will, the USPS is a HUGE organization with all the problems that entails. It's run by politicians who get the "Let my stuff go cheap and I'll lick into your reelection purse" and as usual they succumb. UPS and FedEx run at a profit. USPS could too it the polos didn't mess with it.

That said my only complaint is they deliver bills just as fast as ads, maybe faster.

John

Rayshields

There are terrible and great post offices. There is no substitute for good management, and burdensome rules or not, the local Postmaster sets the tone for service or lack thereof. My little local post office has the worlds best service. Our Postmistress, Becky, is a world class worker. She is very fast at here work and does lots of little extras...she even takes off the little dividers between the stamps on a book of stamps. She will provide boxes for you and even wrap your stuff. If you call her and ask when the post office closes, she will ask if you need her to wait for you to get there.

I wish everyone had the same great service as I do.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member

I agree...there are good post offices and bad ones. Unfortunately, I have had much more experience with the bad ones.

I have no loyalty to the post office or any other government run bureaucracy. I also feel it's almost irresponsible to use a service that I know is providing the service at a less than competitive cost. The post office will be looking for a 100 billion dollar bale-out before too long...and they'll get it. That means you will be paying for sending my packages retroactively.

I think the post office should not be allowed to handle any package over 13 ounces and let fair competition govern the rest.

BigBonner

Founding Member

I think some of the postal workers see a package that says fragile and throw them harder .

johnlee1933

Founding Member

I think the post office should not be allowed to handle any package over 13 ounces and let fair competition govern the rest.

I agree and the "junk mail advertisers should pay realistic rates for their garbage.

John

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member

John,
I hope they do when I send it back to them :)

A friend of mine does that...he stuffs the return envelope with every bit of junk mail he can squeeze in. The soliciting company has to pay the postage on it. He never gets junk mail from that sender again.

There really should be a "Do not send" list like the "Do not call" list.

Most of my garbage is junk mail.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
I don't mind the non glossy junk, a stack of that under kindling starts up the furnace nicely.

Daniel

Banned
At least a few years ago when I knew shipping rates inside outside and upside down. USPS was the best rate up to 13oz. then if you could fit an item in their flat rate mailers they usually had the best rate. otherwise they could not hold a cancel to UPS or Fed Ex for cost. At one time I could tell you exactly what method to ship any item depending on it's size, weight and destination. Stopped doing so much shipping a couple of years ago though.

wazzappenning

I think some of the postal workers see a package that says fragile and throw them harder .

i had a $200 computer damaged once by usps/canada post. they started playing the blame game. it became easier to buy the needed components than to deal with their "insurance" system.

that being said, when i was a teenager, someone who worked in one of the courier warehouses (purolator, ups, fedex, cant remember which) told me that someone had dropped a package marked "glass", heard it break, and like a smart ass, wrote on it in felt "some assembly required".

at least canada post, and im sure usps employees get a background/security check, and probably get paid enough to possibly care.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
There is a lot of "entitlement" mentality in the USPS. Some people can get paid $100 an hour and still feel like "the man" is screwing them.

I can make a couple of comments that are 100% fact...

1. Whenever I've shipped anything with UPS or Fedex, it was always delivered.

2. When I've used USPS, I can't remember the number of times things have been "lost". You have to buy a "promise to deliver" (Certified). If I sell something on Ebay, I am responsible to deliver the item or the buyer gets their money back. If I pay the post office to deliver something for me, I have to buy all the bells and whistles to protect my investment.

My favorite story about the post office...true story.

After another "lost mail" episode, I asked the clerk "If I put a brick in a box and mark it "fragile" and a postal worker breaks their toe on the box from kicking it across the room, can I get in trouble?" She looked at me without even a grin and said "Yes". What else needs to be said?

Boboro

Our gov. is out of control from top to bottom. If you have a minor problem they get nasty with you. It's easyer to ignor them to you have to pay a fine. the system is fun by cold morons.

BarG

Founding Member
Whenever I would send the last few payments on a vehicle through usps , I always sent certified and still had them lose them. I would make a special trip after canceling the check to avoid a repo. They like to wait till its almost paid for if possible.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Whenever I would send the last few payments on a vehicle through usps , I always sent certified and still had them lose them. I would make a special trip after canceling the check to avoid a repo. They like to wait till its almost paid for if possible.

Back in 1957 I came into a little money and bought a brand new red and white Chevy station wagon, V-8, $3300 (you know, family, dogs, etc.) When I paid for it I asked what the payments would have been if I financed if for three years. They told me and I started a savings account. Thru thick and thin I paid the "payment" into that account almost every month. Since that day I have never had to finance a car again. I have "borrowed" from that account during family emergencies and paid it back. I figure over the years I have saved a bundle in finance charges.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.