Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

How to grow 'SNUS' tobacco

Status
Not open for further replies.

squeezyjohn

Hi there,

I'm attempting to grow a small crop to turn in to Swedish Snus and have chosen Black Mammoth as my main variety because it is a good dark leaf and presumably quite rich tasting with it. Does anyone know if there is a preferred variety to grow for this kind of tobacco?

One further question is - should I remove the suckers on my plants for this kind of tobacco - or will I get a larger crop (of smaller leaves) if I leave them on to bush out? I'm certainly not going to be using them for cigar wrappers!

Cheers

Squeezy

Whalen

@squeezyjohn - Just a quick question, what are the UK laws concerning the import of whole leaf tobacco? I ask because no matter how great your crop turns out, there are people here who grow some sexy dark leaf, and have the experience to grow and more importantly cure it to perfection. I count myself lucky to be able to make headway up the growing and curing learning curve, while being able to secure a large amount of "perfect" snus tobacco from here:http://www.wholeleaftobacco.com/

This is the "proof" of what expertise exists on this forum, and the store is not as apparent as one might think! I warn you that Looking at all the great leaf available may cause problems. The dark air cured has exceeded all my expectations.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
I'd be curious too, if allowed to bush out might overall yield of powdered product go up? Or would weight be the same? Too late for me to test myself this year though.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
The following is my opinion, which differs from that of some other members.

If what you're after is pounds of dried, powdered leaf, then allowing suckers to grow after harvesting the primary leaf will maximize that. Allowing suckers to grow simultaneously will simply trade leaf size for an increased leaf count (and increased labor for the same yield).

If, on the other hand, you are seeking a rich, thick leaf--that is, quality leaf, then don't even bother with suckers at all.

Bob

squeezyjohn

@squeezyjohn - Just a quick question, what are the UK laws concerning the import of whole leaf tobacco? I ask because no matter how great your crop turns out, there are people here who grow some sexy dark leaf, and have the experience to grow and more importantly cure it to perfection. I count myself lucky to be able to make headway up the growing and curing learning curve, while being able to secure a large amount of "perfect" snus tobacco from here:http://www.wholeleaftobacco.com/

This is the "proof" of what expertise exists on this forum, and the store is not as apparent as one might think! I warn you that Looking at all the great leaf available may cause problems. The dark air cured has exceeded all my expectations.

You know what. I don't know what the law is on unprocessed leaf. I have bought it from Sweden before - but buying anything from the USA generally has a load more hoops to jump through and I suspect that customs just don't check items coming from within the EU.

I do know that if I were to grow a crop here, no tax is due on the loose leaf until it is processed in to a consumable product. So if I cut it for 'roll your own', I should technically weigh the amount of processed tobacco, contact customs and ask how much I owe them - it would be the same for cigars or pipe tobacco. Nasal snuff has no tax (presumably for historical reasons and because it isn't worth their while changing the law for such a minority product).

Snus is an interesting one though. It isn't illegal to possess or use snus in this country, nor to make it - just illegal to sell it. As it's illegal to sell it - it can't have a taxable rate applied to it.

I will look up the deal in the UK for whole cured tobacco leaf and get back to you when I have an answer!

Cheers

Squeezy

Whalen

Squeesyjohn - I think your rustica will offer you good results and also the mammoth. You will probably have to construct a small curing kiln, which should provide you with a pretty good product. The whole idea is to replicate the conditions at the center of a good compost heap, while keeping things balanced to avoid mold issues.

I have found the dark air cured, and the burley tips, to have been the tastiest snus tobacco. I am still perfecting my recipe for the small batches I prefer. I have a Kilo still of snus flour provided me from GN tobacco of Sweden. From what I can tell it seems to be a rustica, although the 22mg of nicotine per gram is far stouter than I prefer to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.