Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

How much fertilizer?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Ammonium nitrate is all nitrogen (33-0-0), it's used in a lot of commercial crops (corn and soy beans), but I'm not sure if it's used on tobacco.

Yes it is Don, My commercial contact uses it as a starter supply of nitrogen and tills in cotton seed meal at the same time to provide slow nitrogen supply during the growing season.

John

dkh2

Southern Washington State I can see Oregon from my
The score is a relative comparison of the product to pure CaCO3 (mesh 60+, or powder-like). These scores are calculated differently by various states. A 90 is good.
Bob

EDIT: The coarser the material, the slower it will begin to act, and the longer it will last. Particles 1/8" or larger will only act on a geologic time-scale. Particles of 1/60" or finer are immediately available. In between is...well...in between.

So do you think I can use this stuff as the soil test recommended 3000 pounds per acre ?
Does the Term "Super Sweet" mean it's stronger than regular lime farmers use ?
Or just a normal lime compared to some watered down lime they sell for lawns ?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I would say, yes. Use the recommended rate. Depending on the exact wording of the recommendation, it may be going by a standard of 100, for the ideal product. Ninety percent is close enough.

Bob

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
i till in hundreds of pounds of chicken-poop,,mixed with sawdust,,,

004onq.jpg

By chickenhawk435 at 2012-01-14

as for the lime? i guess im in the right area for that? i may look into this,,,and perhaps do a soil analysis, this november,,,

me in a local limerock pit, sometimes i haul limerock,,{ i drive a dump truck daily }

dscf00099.jpg

By chickenhawk435 at 2011-04-02
///
dscf00105.jpg

///
dscf00085.jpg

//
dscf00046.jpg

dkh2

EDIT: The coarser the material, the slower it will begin to act, and the longer it will last. Particles 1/8" or larger will only act on a geologic time-scale. Particles of 1/60" or finer are immediately available. In between is...well...in between.

"geologic time-scale" Like in the next hundred years ?
or one years time
Another thing that is confusing me is that on there web site it says Super Sweet is ground very fine then made into an easy to handle and apply prill. What the hell is " Prill "
Any Who I'm just trying to figure out when to put this stuff out there If it is " Fast Acting " then how long will it last
It rains here ALOT I mean ALOT and would it last through this years season like another 8 months.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
"geologic time-scale" Like in the next hundred years ?
or one years time

Geologic time-scale would be closer to the 100 than the 1. Prill is made by adding some kind of easily soluble binding material to the lime and turning the fine powder (cough! cough!) into a coarser granule for broadcasting. Don't know how long it lasts.

Bob

Daniel

Banned
Chicken, I could use about 30 yards of that chicken manure for my borrowed patch. mind dropping it off? You can jsut show up and dump it any item that is convenient for ya. Legal world class gambling just around the corner.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
Jimmy, Nice Pics ! That water looks great. Do the kids down there swim in it? Is it sweet or salt?

John

no swimming, thats considered a operational mine,,, and it's fresh water,,, good catfishing there,,,,{ i can get in,,, im special}

the river is so close if people wanna go swimming,,, theres a public park near every corner,

johnlee1933

Founding Member
DKH, It is true sulphur won't dissolve in water. The powder I got was so fine that I mixed it with water and one drop of dish washing detergent and dumped the lot in my two gallon sprayer. It went thru just fine.

John

Boboro

Chicken may have lime in his soil if he lives around that lime pit.Id cheak it before I added any.

dkh2

Now for the K20 Potash When to add it to the soil ?
My soil test said add 80 pounds per acre as a Maintenance Recommendation
or a little more than 4 pounds for my little patch. And the only type I can find around here
is Muriate of Potash
But for tobacco it's ......Sulfate of potash isn't it ?

Status
Not open for further replies.