Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Storing tobacco (moved from Shredder reviews)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
well,

will we be storing our baccy, shredded, or shred as we need it,??

Last edited by a moderator:

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Re: Let the Powermatic reviews begin....

well,

will we be storing our baccy, shredded, or shred as we need it,??

I'm not sure yet. For me it depends on what fits in the available space. It'll depend a little on how fast my buddy rolls cigs and I roll cigars.
It seems to me rolling cigars and letting them age is pretty space efficient and the scraps can go to cigs.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member

I'm not sure yet. For me it depends on what fits in the available space. It'll depend a little on how fast my buddy rolls cigs and I roll cigars.
It seems to me rolling cigars and letting them age is pretty space efficient and the scraps can go to cigs.

when shredded, im sure my crop will make a BUCKET-LOAD,,i got many mason jars,,,, and i mean '' MANY'',

but if that looks like it wont hold all of it, then i may store, it these, big nylon bags i have, my only concern is it may dry out, real bad while shredded and stored in these bags,????

perhaps, i'll look into these vapor proof bags don has,????

i allready know, i cant let it hang till im ready to shred it,,, it will mold,

>right now, the way im gonna store it, is very confusing, to say the least<:confused:

Boboro

I've had it mold in jars when I though it was OK now I dry it well to store it . and saturate, it we ll in vodka after I shred it.

BarG

Founding Member

when shredded, im sure my crop will make a BUCKET-LOAD,,i got many mason jars,,,, and i mean '' MANY'',

but if that looks like it wont hold all of it, then i may store, it these, big nylon bags i have, my only concern is it may dry out, real bad while shredded and stored in these bags,????

perhaps, i'll look into these vapor proof bags don has,????

i allready know, i cant let it hang till im ready to shred it,,, it will mold,

>right now, the way im gonna store it, is very confusing, to say the least<:confused:

Chicken
I can't speak for shredded but when color cured bring into just above a low case to where you can handle without breaking [barely pliable] and store in a large plastic bag. Seal the bag to keep from absorbing or losing moisture to fast.It will still lose moisture over time in the bag but much more slowly. If you think the case is a little high after a day or two open the bag overnight to let moisture escape till your satisfied.Or even after packed to satisfaction leave open for a time before sealing for long term. If you need to handle a large quantity after storage open the the bag and set in a humid condition overnight and it will be pliable again. As long as it stays dry it shouldn't mold. I can't speak for fermented leaf. I imagine it should be similar. I would have to buy out walmart to store in mason jars.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I found these things at http://www.freshstor.com/. I can't see myself paying that kind of money for their stainless steel storage containers. But the humidipaks seemed very interesting. They not only absorb moisture but will release it too. They claim it keeps an airtight container at a perfect 62% humidity level. These things look like the handwarmers you get that activate when exposed to oxygen. They advertise their containers as having a built in place in the lid for the humidipaks but anybody can rig up something on the lid of about any airtight container to hold these things. They say best to keep the paks separated from the tobacco. I guess so it works on the air between it and the tobacco. When they get hard it's time to repace.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Sorry Knucks but I believe this is just another way to part you from your money. The crystals to make these packs are available on Ebay very inexpensively. You just put about ¼ teaspoon in a cloth sack and add water. It will give off moisture till it dries and then you just re wet it. ¼ tsp. will swell up a bag about the size of two cigarette packs.

John

Knucklehead

Founding Member
They claim it's the first two way humidity control. It will add moisture or take moisture away. Whatever it takes to maintain 62% humidity. They last about 3 months before they get hard and need repacement. They have one size for their 4.4 gallon container and one for smaller containers. It wouldn't dry out and quit aging and it wouldn't mold. With the Powermatic you get your shredding and blending done and store it with some of these humidipaks and forget it for a couple months at a time.Even it you forgot about it a few weeks I doubt it would dry out that bad and the next pak would rehydrate it. I think it's different from what you're talking about. Check it out it may be as big to storage as the Powermatic was to shredding.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
humidipak_logo.jpg

How 2-way humidity control works

2-way humidity control works by continually responding and adjusting to the outside temperature and climate by either adding or removing humidity as needed to maintain a predetermined level of relative humidity (RH) inside of packages and containers. Maintaining an ideal and constant relative humidity means your product won't lose or gain any moisture. Instead, it'll be maintained at its ideal moisture level throughout its intended shelf-life and/or usage-life. Furthermore, it'll never encounter any moisture fluctuations along the way.

Accuracy to (+/-) 1% by responding to temperature & climate changes
The Humidipak is different than all other technologies. Any product or material placed into a container with a Humidipak inside will be kept at the desired humidity level, +/- 1%. If the humidity in the chamber falls below the desired level, water-vapor will pass into the chamber to restore the humidity. Also, if the humidity is greater than the desired level, the Humidipak will absorb enough of the excess moisture to restore the desired humidity.

humidipak_emit_absorb_graphic.gif

humidipak_pair_graphic.gif

<tbody>
</tbody>
Patent-protected technology
Humidipak's 2-way humidity control technology has been awarded several broad-based patents, both U.S. and International, in the field of non-electronic control of relative humidity within enclosed containers and packages. The patented technology is referred to as Humidipak.

Natural, safe and environmentally friendly
The foundation of the technology is based on a property well known to physical chemists. It combines the formulation of a saturated solution of a soluble substance designed to maintain a specific level of relative humidity. The product consists of a gelled, saturated solution that is filled into a pouch (or other form) with very high water-vapor transmission permeability but does not allow liquid-water to pass through or leak into the container.

For additional information regarding Boveda/humidipak® www.bovedainc.com
Find an authorized retailer near you: http://bovedainc.com/about-boveda/store-locator/

wazzappenning

just a thought here, but for space constraints as well as not letting any mold grow, i wonder if those vacuum bags would keep the leaf in case while not letting mold happen? you know the ones at costco that you put two comforters in, suck all the air out with your vaccum cleaner, and its the size of a folded sheet or two. btw, im not sure if others are better, but some of the costco ones didnt seal very well.

wazzappenning

actually i think this thread is on subject (for tobacco anyways) there must be a better place for it then off topic

Knucklehead

Founding Member
yeah wasshappening should be under How to Grow Tobacco on main page then located right below Curing or Shredding. Had to look for it and it is a step in the whole process.

notcrack

Mine seem to stay in fairly good case in those plastic storage boxes. I read on here that you should drill holes in them and keep them somewhere fairly stable in temperature, so I keep them in my loft/office which is always freezing. I don't know if this info helps, but in my 4-5KG bales I've had absolutely no mould for a while now except on one leaf of burley, but I think some git was messing with that anyway.

Brown Thumb

Re: Happy N2013Y!!!

I shredded all of my crop about 100 pounds and put it in plastic garbage bags.
I have been smoking it and it is mellow not grassy after 5 months of sitting.
I have checked the bottom of the bags for mold the whole time and no problem.
I do not know if shredding helped it along but I was very surprised at how well it tasted.
va309, va509, Havana, va gold, rustica, All smokeable after 5 months and mellow actually too mellow.

Brown Thumb

ciggs, only
I made red tip gumbo out of all the small leaf and that gives the the other mellow tobacco a nice Kick.

Status
Not open for further replies.