Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

First Cigars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom_in_TN

Steve, that was a Don Tomas cigar, Corona size. Don't remember all the details from 2001, I was the friend to whom the cigar was given, so did not purchase it. I remember some of the guys rushed out to buy a box of them but as usual it was just a fluke cigar.

This has gotten under my skin and driven me all these years to buy cigars and find others with similar flavor. A few others had cinnamon flavors, not citrus, and those were not consistent. My theory is that every so often, by chance or genetics, a plant produces leaves with that sort of quality/flavor. A tobacco plantation raises thousands of plants, perhaps 1 plant in 10,000 produces something extraordinary. No sure way to know prior to harvest, curing, rolling and burning. By the time those leaves are incorporated into a cigar the plant was chopped down 2 years prior to the cigar reaching the market. No way to save the seed and possibly get the flavor to repeat.

That is not the only cigar that had extra-ordinary flavor. I had a LaRange (not correct spelling) torpedo shaped cigar with an incredible Cinnamon flavor, once. There were 13 of us doing 'taste tests' of cigars. We each contributed one cigar to the test (I contributed 2 that time), I got the cigar with the terrific cinnamon taste, no one else did. It was a great cigar, impeccable roll/construction, all of us commented on their perfection in terms of construction. The burn, flavor was consistently good, mild, smooth tasty tobacco, except the one I got had the incredible cinnamon flavor.

I have spent considerable time and money on cigars. Some have been good to great - most have been OK to lousy. By that I mean this, when you experience a terrific cigar, say 1 in 100,000 that excites you so much that it starts a quest to discover it again, but when you don't find it then even a good cigar can be a disappointment.

There are cigars out there that have great flavor. Most people, including the most discriminating among us, poo-poo them as 'frutti-tutti' cigars. They think the flavors have been enhanced by casings or some other method. Not true. The secret is aging the cigars for the proper time. Out of a box of 40, all 40 cigars have the exact same flavor. Not Cinnamon or citrus of course, but a nice caramel flavor. Or, flavors so complicated and nuanced that they defy description, but they are delicious.

Oh my, time and money. Never enough of either one.

U

Unregistered

Yes

+1 this is very interesting

Last edited by a moderator:

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Maybe zest a citrus fruit and put the zest in an airtight container with but not touching some low case leaves for a month, as the zest dries out it should impart something to the leaves.

Tom_in_TN

Or, grate the rinds, dry them out, soak in Everclear 190 proof grain alcohol, then toast the leaves, and spray that on your leaves.

Man, did we hijack this thread, or what?

Status
Not open for further replies.