Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Cigar Glue

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrewislord

Any suggestions for a good cigar glue? Something I could easily make at home or something I can buy if it's cheap and worth it.

Spit has been working but since I'm not too good at this I was thinking glue might make it easier.
I was thinking of watering down some Elmers.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Ah, the eternal cigar rolling question. Pectin works and you can get it in your grocery store. You can also use Guar Gum, available at most health food stores. I use Gum Tragacenth which works just as well as the others.

Matty

I've been having good luck with the fruit pectin. Guar gum, is that the one derived from seeweed? I also have some gum arabic but have not tried it yet.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
I use good old Knox (or any other brand) of unflavored gelatin. 1/4 teaspoon in four ounces of water and off you go. Tasteless odorless and cheap.

J

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
ive used fruit pectin,

and the cigars i made a year ago, are still wrapped,

i recommend it,

andrewislord

Thanks for the tips. I bought some pectin from Stater Brothers. I noticed there were different kinds and stuff. Any real difference?

I think it helped my cigars a lot. I'd upload a picture but I'm having a problem with that right now and busy watering plants.

andrewislord

DSCN4401.JPG

DSCN4402.JPG

The smaller one I rolled kind of quick. It was really hard to smoke. I think it was too wet. The bigger one smoked well but I let dry quite a bit.
And they held together well.

Steve2md

those look great! would you mind adding those pics to the diy cigar pics thread? i'd like to see that thread grow to a "yearbook" of sorts so that we can all chart our progress as we get better at our hobby! Welcome to the club!

BarG

Founding Member
Any suggestions for a good cigar glue? Something I could easily make at home or something I can buy if it's cheap and worth it.

Spit has been working but since I'm not too good at this I was thinking glue might make it easier.
I was thinking of watering down some Elmers.

The only time I use spit is when I roll cigars for friends. Which is usualy never. Son in laws is a different story.;)

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Fruit pectin is what I use. A little jar lasts for freakin ever!
I just got some fruit pectin. It seems to be a fluid or jell (two packets). I haven't opened it yet. Questions:

How much do I dilute it?

How long will it keep in the fridge?

I think I remember it as a powder. Is it still available in powder form?

Thanks, John

Edit: I just found Ball powdered pectin. $4.99 4.7 oz

notcrack

I've been stock buying for my upcoming first cigar roll. I've got fruit pectin which is a gel in a bottle and I've got some gum tragacanth which seems to be a powder. If anyone has any advice on using these things I would gladly listen.

Steve2md

you can get the pectin in powder form in the canning section of your grocery store or wal-mart. That's what I use. I get a bowl of warm water to dissolve it in and only add about 1/2-1 tsp (teaspoon) by eyeballing it. It gets thicker as it sets and cools off. It doesn't take much. I use a basting brush to apply it, nice and wet. then after rolling, i put the cigars on a baking rack to dry out for a few hours before putting in the humidor. If you want to smoke it right away, use less glue so the cigar is not as wet.
I suppose the gel pectin can be thinned in warm water the same way, but I've never tried it.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Opened pectin will last about a month in the fridge, in a sealed container. Mold will be obvious, when it finally has to be discarded.

I seldom use any glue on a cigar. When I need to make up a cigar in advance, I just twist and knot a pigtail in the wrapper at the head.

When I do use pectin, I always start with a teaspoon of powdered pectin, and add tiny amounts of water to it, in a close-able cup, aiming to make the thickest gel possible. I spread it lightly on the terminal (head) edge of the wrapper with a fingertip, then finish with a tight pigtail or pigtail knot. The more viscous the glue, and the less of it you apply, the faster it dries.

In conjunction with a pigtail, the only advantage I've seen with using any glue at all is that, after cutting the head in preparation for smoking the cigar, you can wag the cigar in your friend's face, without it coming unwrapped. If you just cut it and stick it in your mouth, there is simply no need for glue.

I've rolled about 3000 cigars that I'll admit to. Fewer than 100 were glued. Glue is for factories and store display cigars.

Bob

notcrack

I'd love to see a picture or tutorial showing this pigtail you mention, Boss. I was following some tutorials I found online, but will throw them out if you say this is a better way.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I've haven't made a cigar yet but I have used apple juice on cigarette papers that had no glue. It held very well.

marksctm

I've haven't made a cigar yet but I have used apple juice on cigarette papers that had no glue. It held very well.
Papers with no glue you just fold over about 1/4 inch, crease it, run your tongue over crease, tear off at moistened crease.
Then lick torn edge upwards, so the fibers of paper stand up.
Will hold like glue. I'd gotten papers where the glue went bad, and tore the glue strip off that way and used the whole pack.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
I'd love to see a picture or tutorial showing this pigtail you mention, Boss. I was following some tutorials I found online, but will throw them out if you say this is a better way.
I don't know about better but the pigtail works and is easy. As I roll the cigar I roll from the lighting end to the head (the part that goes in your mouth) My wrapper is quite moist so when I get to the head I just pick the cigar up and keep spinning it. This automatically forms the pig tail. I then press hard with my thumb nail and cut the pig tail to the length I want. I rarely have one unwrap on me.

John

jParnell

I use Gum Tragacenth which works just as well as the others.

Where do you source this? I'm trying as many different glues as I can to see what I like best. So far I've tried pectin, gum Arabic, bermocoll, honey, and just tonight xanthan gum. So far, bermocoll is my favorite, followed closely by xanthan ($12 for 8 oz, and a single teaspoon made enough for probably 200 cigars... I'll be able to roll 40 a day and still have to throw the rest out before I can use it all before it expires).

3 of the 4 sticks I rolled and capped with honey still have the cap sliding really easily (they've been dry boxed a week, I imagine it'll take months before they're reasonably firm). The 4th I smoked the next morning, and I wasn't a fan of (to use a term Bob coined) the lip hit. Made my smoke feel like a cheap gas station stick.

Status
Not open for further replies.