Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

2 'bacco plants came back from roots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BaccaChew

Anybody else had this happen?

I harvested my 12 Chobie Golds last fall, leaving what appeared to be dead woody stumps in the ground all rainy winter. This spring, one came roaring back as vigorous as last summer and the other a little weaker!

Thought I'd at least cross the two "comeback kids" and see if that leads to something more and more perennial. Stop me if this is all in vain.

Ishi

I have 2 Lizard Tail that are on there 3rd year. Kind of in the blackberry row so I did not want to dig them out. I bagged one of them for seed again this year. I have had about 12 plants come up from seed where I grew last year, do not know what kind they are so put them in a row. Will see how they take the 110 heat tomorrow
Dan

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
There is a distinct disadvantage to allowing tobacco roots to overwinter. If you have even the slightest infestation with certain molds, root parasites or a few other diseases, overwintering will propagate them. It's the antithesis of crop rotation. If you have no pest problems, then it's not an issue.

I try to dig out the roots as completely as possible every autumn.

Bob

BaccaChew

There is a distinct disadvantage to allowing tobacco roots to overwinter. If you have even the slightest infestation with certain molds, root parasites or a few other diseases, overwintering will propagate them. It's the antithesis of crop rotation. If you have no pest problems, then it's not an issue.

I try to dig out the roots as completely as possible every autumn.

Bob

Sage advice like yours is always welcome! I bet that in 'backy country like yours this would be quite the issue, hence the advice. I doubt my land has ever seen anything outside the pepper, tomato or potato clan, so no worries. Plus this particular patch was covered in hundred year old forest until about 2 years ago. I do value your advice.

BaccaChew

I have 2 Lizard Tail that are on there 3rd year. Kind of in the blackberry row so I did not want to dig them out. I bagged one of them for seed again this year. I have had about 12 plants come up from seed where I grew last year, do not know what kind they are so put them in a row. Will see how they take the 110 heat tomorrow
Dan
I gave 'em extra water when it was very hot. Got a few crispy burnt-like leaf ends here and there, but the major heat has passed.

It's pretty easy to cross breed the two best ones if you are willing to open up an almost open flower and tweeze the pollen sacks out, then go in with the other pollen around 24 hours later and dust the little female stump thing.

I always wondered why I should bag a whole flower assembly. That would produce about a coffee can of seed! The pods I bred last year easily had 500-1000 seeds apiece in them.

BaccaChew

Nicotiana tabacum is a perennial. There might be a possibility old root stock produces higher nicotine, but I've never done the experiment.
Very interesting! I do know that there was not the same growth curve as a young seedling -- these just came rocketing out of the ground like they owned the place. They happened to be the shorter phenotype from last year, so they are also shorter this year -- Maybe 5 feet with flowers included.

Tomatoes and peppers are perennial also, given a frost free warmish winter, but I have never seen them come back from underground shoot initials. I suspect that bacco stores a fair amount of energy reserves underground for this to have occurred.

Status
Not open for further replies.