Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Allowing "Guests" to post replies

Status
Not open for further replies.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
How do you guys feel about allowing Guests (unregistered visitors) to post replies to threads?

The user group (Guests) would not be able to post any html or BB code. The length of their posts would be limited to 250 characters...so they wouldn't be able to fill a page with meta tags.

Currently, guests can not view attachments. Do you think this feature should be allowed to guests?

Rayshields

My gut says let them see attachments, but not post. This would give them more incentive to become members, and not risk cluttering the site with casual visitors comments/questions.

jeapadrenaline

I'm with ray, let visitors see attachments, but don't let them post, as it will just clutter the site and be prone to spamers. Maybe only allow to see attachments on first page per thread.... shows what the site is about, and if one is so inclined to see more, gives incentive to join.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I tend to agree with the rest although there have been many many sites I've looked at and wanted to make a meaningful contribution to but did not want to go through the hassle of registering. IF you decide to proceed with this, do it for a short, trial bases. Every time a guest posts a message maybe have the mods receive a notice so they can all review it lickity-split.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
i'd go with jitterbug's idea,

and the other's also,

if they arent members, then they really dont care if thier post gets deleted,

and without the fear of being banned, then they may post some things, that may be vulguar,

perhaps give it a trial run, and at the first sign of some negativity,

CEASE IT,

johnlee1933

Founding Member
I don't know anything about running a site. I think allowing viewing of attachments is good. It could stimulate interest. I think letting guests post or reply to post is a bad idea. Jitterbugdude has a valid point but if you choose to do that it puts a perhaps unfair burden on the moderators.

Basically I favor unlimited browsing but if you have a question or want to comment -- JOIN !

John

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
I think letting guests post or reply to post is a bad idea.... it puts a perhaps unfair burden on the moderators.
John

The mods have nothing to do as it is now. We might delete one post a month...if that. I was trying to figure out a way to get my money's worth out of the mods. Letting every Tom, Dick and Harry post replies just might do the trick :)

I have noticed people join just to view the attachments.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
^^^^

well then do it,

and lets see how it goes,

i'd make sure, when they log in to the site,

that it tells them they can '' post as a guest''.

im intrested to see how much '' guest'' traffic we may have ,???

EDIT; i just looked, thier is 56 guests,

it'd be intrested to see what they have to say??

ive sent 43 people to this site,

and on other websites, they have showed me thier grows, that they did with seed i sent them,

i'd say about 6 are regular posters here,

allthough the others may browse the site as a member, they are GROWING THIER OWN PRODUCT<

and thats the important part,

pulling people off the grid,

johnlee1933

Founding Member
The mods have nothing to do as it is now. We might delete one post a month...if that. I was trying to figure out a way to get my money's worth out of the mods. Letting every Tom, Dick and Harry post replies just might do the trick :)

You mean you pay them? Shit if I'd know that I'd have applied. :D

J

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
The site is averaging almost 1400 "unique" visitors a month now. Of those 1400, almost 25% are new visitors (350 roughly). Of those 350, maybe 45 join the site (13% roughly).

I never put the numbers to paper before and I guess they aren't too bad after all. My thoughts on opening the board to visitors was to stimulate registrations, but there probably isn't any reason to do that. If somebody finds the forum and shares our enthusiasm for tobacco...they will join regardless the process.

...,but opening the boards to guests might be fun just to see what happens.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
I work graveyard's and can edit from work NP, try it, lets see what happens.

Brown Thumb

Yes and No.
Let them view pics as a guest. That is it. join if you want to ask questions ect.
Not that my opinion matters , You guys know more than me.
No, I am Not being a smart ass either.
Tom, Dick, Harry

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Don, In my earlier years I was on about a dozen different forums. Nowa' days it's maybe 3, as I've seen it; the small forums didn't have too much spam/senseless posting, but on larger forums the moderators had ALOT to control. I see this forum as intermediate but growing fast. I don't think we'd have too much to worry about if we opened up the forum to guests seeing pictures or being able to post short comments/questions, but as we grow I have a feeling we'd get more people posting things like "howw do i get the tobbaco to get browned???" or 2 posts then asking for 1000 different kinds of seed (and they still wouldn't read the guidelines for requesting seed). Giving them unlimited access in my eyes without registration would invalidate the reason for having the ability to be a member.

Just like my pastor used to say "Make a _____(website, article, paper etc) like a skirt: high enough to keep the guy interested but long enough to keep their imagination and interest going"

That's just my .02

-Jeremy

Status
Not open for further replies.