Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Tobacco strain selection guide for minimal processing

hooyoo

Does anyone have experience with growing Cuban varieties like Criollo or Corojo? I'd love to know if they need extensive curing/kilning/etc or can be minimally processed and still have good flavor

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to the forum. Feel free to introduce yourself in the Introduce Yourself forum.

I have grown a number of varieties of Corojo as well as Criollo. As with most Caribbean cigar varieties, they need to be fermented in some manner, which usually means kilning for a home-grower.

Of those, I have NOT grown Criollo 98, which is said to be superior in a number of ways to other Cuban Criollo varieties. Corojo 99 is by far the best Corojo I've grown, in terms of productivity, curing and kilning. The Criollos that I have grown required an additional year or so of aging after kilning, to lose a "raw" quality.

For cigars, really every variety should be kilned, to get the best smoking experience from them. Building a kiln is a $100 to $150 project that takes about 1 weekend for anyone to build. Constructing a kiln requires no special skills.

Bob

BarG

Founding Member
I believe this to be 100% true. The bottom line for a farmer is money. Tobacco is sold by weight. Burley harvested at 4-5 weeks is heavier than Burley harvested at 3 weeks. When you are growing acres of it, the weight difference really adds up. This does not mean harvesting at 5 weeks makes the best tasting tobacco, it means it makes the heaviest yielding tobacco instead.

If you want a smooth quick smoke right after harvest. Try this: Harvest some leaf at 1 week after topping, then 2 weeks etc. Once a plant is topped all kind of things happen, nicotine levels increase, nitrogen, potassium etc increase too. I harvested a large amount of my tobacco this year 10 days after topping. That was on the 13th of July and it is all mostly cured. I've been smoking a lot of it and it is very smooth and tasty. Over the winter I will reevaluate my grow from this year and make some changes. One of those changes might very well be harvesting 1 week after topping. I will wait till next spring to decide.