Whole Leaf Tobacco
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Re: Tobacco strain selection guide for minimal processing

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Yes, it's an oriental. I got my original seed from sustainableseed. I bagged a couple plants and have plenty if you'd like some.

I just finished trying some of the second priming and it was good too.
    For some reason I've had this variety on the brain today and you bring it up. Does it have a flavor of it's own or is it more neutral? I think the seed swap thread will be interesting by the holidays.

Knucks said it best. There's gonna be little seed packets criss crossing the globe by Christmas.
    Quote Originally Posted by leverhead View Post
    For some reason I've had this variety on the brain today and you bring it up. Does it have a flavor of it's own or is it more neutral? I think the seed swap thread will be interesting by the holidays.

Quote Originally Posted by leverhead View Post
    To me the 1st prime was very neutral. I couldn't discern any flavors really. In the second prime there was maybe just a hint of flavor but nothing to make me say yummy.

The plants actually grew very nice for me. I don't think I had any suckers off the main stalk but two of the plants did put out a ground sucker after topped. My plants grew to maybe 4ft tall at the top of the seed heads, but I'm sure they are capable of getting bigger. I planted most of my stuff this year right in my ground cover and weeds so they were forced to compete for all their nutrients. No fertilizer of any kind.

It sounds like a nice sized plant. I grew most of my Orientals this year with the traditional row and plant spacing, no fertilizer and I kept it weeded. I'm happy enough with results, I just need more space between the rows. I think the restricted diet for the Orientals is a good thing, it is more work per pound, but I think it's worth it. I only topped the Shiraz, the rest I left the flower head on. Suckers came late and weren't too much of a problem.

This may be an old thread but its full of great information. I had to order a few varieties I didn't have like Bursa, and Yellow Twist Bud.

Super Moderator

What a nice trip down memory lane.

I know I appreciate updates when I'm reading something like this, so I'll post one here.

My climate modifies my needs so I went down this road looking for types that were easy to cure and didn't need much aging as most of my year has weather that in some way is incompatible with the enzymes ability to work. So a year hanging for me might be a fraction of the aging a leaf elsewhere might obtain. I still look for types that expedite color curing, but ultimately assembling a kiln was the best decision for me to make. A kiln is nothing more than a source of heat with a temp controller in an insulated enclosure. See Brent's thread on it in the subforum Tobacco Science.

It costs about 7 bucks a month to run and less than a hundred to put together, only regret was not doing it the first year.

Are there any Virginia types that air cure well and require minimal processing?

Some folks have been happy with Costello (a bright leaf type), especially when it is sun-cured, but also simply air-cured.

http://nwtseeds.com/Costello.htm

Bob

Founding Member

I agree, Bob. The Costello that I grew last year air-cured easily, and is a mellow, nicely flavored smoke after a year of natural aging.

I'm pretty sure I've got some of that on my list for next year. Sounds like a good leaf to have.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678