Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Spraying insecticides on flowering bud or seed pods

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeftyRighty

Founding Member
I've got a few plants that I'm letting flower, with the intent of producing seed. These plants are from bottom suckers allowed to grow from a cut stalk. Buds have not formed yet, but will in a few weeks.
I do need to spray or do something to prevent insects damage. In past years, even though the heads were bagged, I had massive infestation of worms and beetles, totally destroying the seed pods. My normal insect control for tobacco has been acephate/orthene, but this stuff prevents seed from being viable, and I do need to use something to control insects in my area.
I've got Bt, Spinosad, Sevin and Malathion. The Bt and Spinosad are working well for worms on these plants to date. But I'm really worried about those damned flea beetles or whatever they are, when the buds start forming. Are there better products available, other than Sevin and Malathion ???

LeftyRighty

Founding Member
since neem oil is systemic (absorbed by the plant tissue), will it have an adverse effect on the viability of the seed ?

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Neem oil systemic? Who knew? I'll have to scratch that one off my list. Spinosad works on flea beetles and it is a pretty harmless product to us humans. It does not effect the viability of the seed because I've sprayed it on seed pods before.

LeftyRighty

Founding Member
I thought Bt & Spinosad was only effective on worms/caterpillers, not beetles, grasshoppers, aphids, etc.
I guess I'll be using this Sevin and Malathion, because I have some, but I don't know if it has any detrimental effect on seed formation. I'll find out the hard way.

Status
Not open for further replies.