Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Refrigerator Kiln

Status
Not open for further replies.

longashes

Hello,

I've gutted out an old fridge and have two big PC case fans for circulation with a hygrometer to show me the temp and humidity. I'm using a crock pot as a source of heat and humidity with distilled water. So far, this thing is WAY too hot, even at the lowest setting. The fridge stays at 180F and 80% humidity. I drilled some holes into the fridge for air flow to get a bit of the heat and humidity out, but still it's a no go. What the heck is everyone else using to control the heat and humidity in a fridge kiln set up? Any points would be welcome.

IMG_20120812_180045.jpg

LeftyRighty

Founding Member
I used a crockpot with a off-warm-low-high controls for temp. Usually start it in low-temp for a few hours until it gets to 120 degrees or so, then set to warm-temp for remainder of time. Yes, ventilation is needed, and controlled to maintain proper temp/RH. This was in a 2x2x3 ft foamboard box that leaked badly.

I just got an old upright freezer, and am building a proper kiln. I will use a Ranco ETC 111000 temp controller ( http://www.etcsupply.com/ranco-etc111000000-digital-temperature-controller-prewired-p-87.html) to maintain the correct temp range. Some have had success using hot-water-heater controls, much cheaper. Humidity will still have to be controlled by adjustable venting of the box.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
yes, i'd suggest a hot water heater control.

a ranco is nice,

you'll have to search it on here, thier is a thread, i recall where a guy has hooked it up,

leverhead

I'm using a Ranco on my Flue Curing speriment, it's rugged brick sized box. It's a snap to install and you don't need a ten year old to program it.

Status
Not open for further replies.