Whole Leaf Tobacco
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Founding Member

FREE Heirloom Tobacco seeds program SUSPENDED

Don,

Not too political for me. When you figure out how to send then fused grenades then you MIGHT be crossing the line.

John

Banned

Don, after finding some land to really grow some tobacco the other day I want to do two things.
    1. Try the Ergo Burley. I still have not gotten it but I did send you a couple of e-mails. I am wondering if I am getting blocked or going to your junk mail.
    2. Help out with the grow out. I have room for 7 lots of 50 plants each. The Ergo will take one of those. You can pick the other 6.

I will post this in your grow out thread also but here is what we are growing anyway.

500 Yellow Twist Bud
    500 Monte Calm Yellow ( I am not sure where you landed with that one being a specific type)
    251 Virginia Bright Leaf )This one turned out a fast aging fairly nice cigarette tobacco it is getting some nice flavor)
    50 Bursa
    for 1301 out of 1651 we will grow.

we want to grow
    50 Ergo Burley

The last 300 we don't know so will hold them for the grow out.
    I have some stuff labeled Lonnie's Havana that I am interested in growing as well. I understand it is some cross Lonnie came up with but no idea what the cross is. I will drop it if you want me to grow another Havana for the grow out. I am just interested in seeing a Havana.

got my seeds today, brill, all the way to at the moment sunny Ireland, thanx , well its sunny at the moment, and i was getting used to the rain

I just placed my order today and chose Izmir Ozbis seeds. Looking forward to the grow.

i never did get my free seeds yet

Quote Originally Posted by jailhouse View Post
    i never did get my free seeds yet
    PM FmGrowit again with the specific request.

Bob

Hi,
    I am new here and wonder
    if someone could point me
    in the right direction for selecting
    the best variety for first timer,cigarette smoker,
    Considering where I live not too far from DC.

What are the fastest finishing easy to grow varieties good for first timers?

Thanks,
    D

Banned

I grew Yellow Twist Bud and Monte Calm Yellow in equal amounts last year. I added to this in far fewer amounts Bursa and Virginia Bright Leaf. Completely mixed I woudl guess this comes close to the 45-45-10 mix mentioned above. I also grew most of this per Dons suggestion. The final tobacco is a very respectable cigarette blend. I plan to try and Flue Cure the Virginia Bright leaf this year and grow it as a 40% portion of the tobacco. IN total my plan is to grow.
    YTB and MCY as 40% of my total harvest. VBL as 40%, Bursa and other oriental varieties as 20%

I hope to Flue Cure all the VBL while stlak harvesting all the others. I may try to sun cure some of the oriental varieties just as a test to see how it turns out otherwise it will be stalk cured.

Since flue curing takes care of the entire curing and aging of the tobacco in one shot the VBL will be broght back to case and packaged after the flue curing is complete (about one week) All the stalk harvested tobacco will be kilned as needed to age it.

I have done some very small scale toasting and like the results if it is done once the tobacco has been aged as much as possible. For example 6 to 8 weeks in a kiln for MCY. I have not done much in the way of flavoring yet. I am trying to take each step at a time and tinker with it until I get the best results I can. then I will start working with the next process available. As you can see I am still working on the best ways to even cure most of my varieties.

Between what we grew last year and what we bought online at very low prices we will not need to buy any tobacco this year. For me that is a $3000 saving over last year. I am spending a fortune growing tobacco this year though. Most of it one time equipment costs such as an electric fence to keep wild horses out of my patch and 2000 feet of drip system. That 2000 was not a typo either. IN all growing tobacco this year will cost about $1500. but if it is a good year I will not have to buy tobacco for the next 3 to 4 years. My biggest concern is that I am using someone elses land to grow this crop. and it is an hours drive from my house. I will not be able to keep a daily watch on the field. I am not liking that but it is life.

Super Moderator

well just going up to the field every weekend to sucker and kill some bugs should keep you busy but it should be doable. Even with a reduced crop you should get a few years worth. Just keep doing it as long as you can, 2 grows might net you enough time that you might have your own land before you run out again.

i got my seeds today cant wait to get started

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast