Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Humidly to dry leaf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ishi

I am trying to dry primed YTB and Samson leaf. I cannot get the humidity over 65%. I have a12” Crockpot on high a small steam vaporized and 2 cool humidifiers running in a room 6 X 10 with a wood floor. I am using a small heater with a thermostat and holding 85 F. The heater has a fan for circulation. The YTB is turning fine but the Samson is drying green. Anyone have any suggestions? I have more to prime but want to get things running better before i put it in.Outside temps run 95 to 103 during the day with a rh of about 14%
Thanks Dan

Steve2md

I would either lower the room temp slightly if possible, or lower the Samson in the room. The humidity is staying low to the floor where the air is cooler. You could try killing the fan on the heater. Humidity should increase with a decrease of air flow.

Daniel

Banned
What steve said. It is going to be hard to change teh humidity in a ful size room. I do it frequently. It requires doing something like shampooing the carpets. You might try putting a pot of water on a hot plate so that it steams. But even a closed space like a kiln will not hold humidity at elevated temperatures.

I hang my YTB in my shop at very cool temps say 75 degrees and below. it takes it longer to yellow but I don't have drying problems. We have very dry air here. Far below 65% Humidity.

It seems to me that the tobacco is harder to get to turn if it was picked sooner.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
It seems to me that the tobacco is harder to get to turn if it was picked sooner.
That seems to make sense to me. The riper the leaf the closer it is to yellowing naturally so it makes sense it would yellow more rapidly hanging. I prime a lot of immature leaf for my cigars and yes, they do yellow more slowly.

John

Ishi

Turned off the heater and added a tub of rock salt to help stable the RH.

Thanks every one
Dan

LeftyRighty

Founding Member
You could reduce the room size by hanging a cheap plastic-sheet painter's cloth, just for the area that the tobacco is hung. Also, drape some wet towels or cloth in the area. Have an ocillating fan on low speed, to keep the air moving a bit. No heat required.

BarG

Founding Member
I am trying to dry primed YTB and Samson leaf. I cannot get the humidity over 65%. I have a12” Crockpot on high a small steam vaporized and 2 cool humidifiers running in a room 6 X 10 with a wood floor. I am using a small heater with a thermostat and holding 85 F. The heater has a fan for circulation. The YTB is turning fine but the Samson is drying green. Anyone have any suggestions? I have more to prime but want to get things running better before i put it in.Outside temps run 95 to 103 during the day with a rh of about 14%
Thanks Dan
Ishi
Could you just let ambient temp and low humidity dry during the day and try adding any humidity in evening during a resting period to prevent drying green. It would be cooler and no heat should be required. You could even mist during the nighttime hours if the leaves are still very crisp in the morning.

Randy

What would be the best numbers for temp and humidity for drying tobacco leaves; is there perfect ratio..or could it flucate with same good out-come?

Randy

johnlee1933

Founding Member
What would be the best numbers for temp and humidity for drying tobacco leaves; is there perfect ratio..or could it flucate with same good out-come?

Randy
Around 125° F +/- 5. 70% RH works fine. Some variation just happens. No worries. If the humidity gets over 80% then mold is a real possibility. Set up a fan or something to keep air moving to eliminate local pockets of high humidity. Don't bunch your leave up. Leave enough space to allow air to circulate around them. Too is a bad word here -- Too wet, too dry, too hot, too cold all slow or stop the process.

John

Randy

I like that TOO.makes alot sense..but the temp 125F??.little high i thought but what do I know.

I was speaking of air-curing

Randy

johnlee1933

Founding Member
I like that TOO.makes alot sense..but the temp 125F??.little high i thought but what do I know.

I was speaking of air-curing

Randy
My bad -- I thought kilning. Just try to keep the ~ 70% RH and keep it from freezing and you'll be fine.

J

Status
Not open for further replies.