Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Mark Ryan and Perique

Status
Not open for further replies.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
That's an outstanding article. It actually contains meaningful information (unlike most of the myth and fluff that appears in most articles about Perique). FmGrowit and BigBonner have produced some excellent pressure-processed Perique, using differing varieties of tobacco. The article certainly clarifies why it doesn't require plants grown in St. James Parrish. Perique (or any pressure-processed variety) is one of the few tobaccos that undergo true fermentation--microbial fermentation. (Another would be cigar leaf for Royal Jamaica, which is fermented in a bethune potion.)

I have grown Perique tobacco, and found that it makes superb cigar filler when air-cured and kilned.

Bob

Whalen

well if anyone can work the magic with tobacco it is Mark Ryan. When I smoked, four years ago, I smoked a blend of all Mark Ryan tobaccos! It was actually a Picayune tobacco that I smoked that put me down on the couch hard, that was my first inkling that my heart was giving out from smoking. That Picayune was one stout tobacco. His Ramback Turkish cigarette blend was sublime.

Only blended whole leaf tobaccos can come close.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I think that article was from 2010. They may be conducting tours by now. Maybe we need to send a spy down there that will know what he's looking at.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Can anyone tell us what that liquid is in those barrels? Flavoring, casing, water, Wild Turkey etc....

Knucklehead

Founding Member
They put really wet tobacco in the barrels and the juice is squeezed out. When they let off pressure to rotate the leaves every so often, the juice is immediately absorbed back into the leaves. It stays too wet to mold and the liquid is one reason it is a true fermentation process like wine. The true fermentation process is why the flavor is so unique and fruity.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
It would have to have been recently. RYOmagazine.com had a big article on his Perique and his line of tobacco this past quarter. It's a quarterly online magazine and gets weekly updates. I know his Perique blends of pipe tobacco are still being sold but maybe old stock?

johnlee1933

Founding Member
It would have to have been recently. RYOmagazine.com had a big article on his Perique and his line of tobacco this past quarter. It's a quarterly online magazine and gets weekly updates. I know his Perique blends of pipe tobacco are still being sold but maybe old stock?
Thanks.

J

burge

All I know Is if you are ever stuck and you can get one of Mark Ryans blends you got your self some good stuff I have had all his Virginia blends and its all good stuff. Penhooker is the exact copy of players. Three Sails Windsail etc His perique blend I have not tried but guarantee it would be good

Status
Not open for further replies.