Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Common cigar filler

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarG

Founding Member
I think my best cigars have been with one or 2 varieties for filler with a strip of fire cured.

I haven't had my mid to upper leaves cure enough yet to try on several varietys, so Its still early to tell which will be my favorites. Plus I plan on picking up the temp control in a week or so for a kiln and have it operational when they do.

At the moment I havn't rolled a single cigar using the perique and fire cured with a good fermented wrapper that wasn't a pleasure to smoke.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Flue-cured (actually flue-cured) can be used as a minor blender, at most, in cigars. Other than that, practically any leaf can be used (including air-cured "flue-cure" varieties). If the leaf is kilned, it is more likely to remind you of a commercial cigar. Most cigar class varieties (wrapper, binder, filler) can be used as filler. Blends (of damn near anything) are usually tastier and more enjoyable than a single variety puro (even of the nicest variety).

Some combinations are surprisingly wonderful. A CT Broadleaf binder beneath a red Burley wrapper works some kind of mysterious magic over any filler.

Just experiment with blending what you have in different proportions, and using differing stalk positions. I smoke a lot of (BigBonner) burley blended cigars wrapped in burley or (WholeLeafTobacco.com) Bezuki. I usually hang onto some of the kilned tip leaves from previous years to add in tiny amounts for deep flavors. Kilned blossoms can be used for the same purpose. As my 40 varieties from this year emerge from the kiln, I will experiment with infinite blending.

Bob

Tom_in_TN

Fillers I look forward to tasting are Pennsylvania Red and Little Dutch. Binders will be the Havana sisters, 142 and 425, plus based on what Bob said above I'll have to buy some CT Broadleaf binder and already have a little bit of BigBonner's red burley for a little bit of filler/wrapper. The wrapper leaf I raised is small stalk Black Mammoth and Florida Sumatra.

But it is going to be one big experiment and I could probably be talked into trying combinations I never dreamed would be good together.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Be sure to harvest some leaf before it gets too ripe. Even the most hardened cigar smokers get nicotine poisoning from too much ligero in the blend. When I have it, I sell 3 times the seco compared to ligero. BB's red tips would be considered ligero.

BarG

Founding Member
Flue-cured (actually flue-cured) can be used as a minor blender, at most, in cigars. Other than that, practically any leaf can be used (including air-cured "flue-cure" varieties). If the leaf is kilned, it is more likely to remind you of a commercial cigar. Most cigar class varieties (wrapper, binder, filler) can be used as filler. Blends (of damn near anything) are usually tastier and more enjoyable than a single variety puro (even of the nicest variety).

Some combinations are surprisingly wonderful. A CT Broadleaf binder beneath a red Burley wrapper works some kind of mysterious magic over any filler.

Just experiment with blending what you have in different proportions, and using differing stalk positions. I smoke a lot of (BigBonner) burley blended cigars wrapped in burley or (WholeLeafTobacco.com) Bezuki. I usually hang onto some of the kilned tip leaves from previous years to add in tiny amounts for deep flavors. Kilned blossoms can be used for the same purpose. As my 40 varieties from this year emerge from the kiln, I will experiment with infinite blending.

Bob
I'll say this Bob,
I have definitely been experimenting. Its been a blast doing it too. I always appreciate your insight as I [10-1] may never reach that level. Thank you! The combinations are endless.

Tim

Tom_in_TN

It seems to be a daunting task to figure out how to cure, use, and blend what I've raised so far this season. I'm still trying to decide on the proper size kiln to build and there is a ton of leaf still to harvest and cure. I'll definitely concentrate on harvest and curing first.

andrewislord

Thanks. I'll have to start paying more attention to what I use.
I've tried to get a nicotine buzz from smoking straight TN90 ligero but it won't happen. I haven't gotten one in like 10 years so when the tobacco showed up it was the first thing I tried.

I'm thinking I'll try more dark air and less of the TN90. I've been smoking a lot of heavy burley blends lately so I'll try and change it up.
Soon I'll try and get a hold of some thing red. I've been reading about a lot of tobaccos that end in red.

BarG

Founding Member
Thanks. I'll have to start paying more attention to what I use.
I've tried to get a nicotine buzz from smoking straight TN90 ligero but it won't happen. I haven't gotten one in like 10 years so when the tobacco showed up it was the first thing I tried.

I'm thinking I'll try more dark air and less of the TN90. I've been smoking a lot of heavy burley blends lately so I'll try and change it up.
Soon I'll try and get a hold of some thing red. I've been reading about a lot of tobaccos that end in red.
Tom or andrew, have ya'll tried the Bezuki from Don.
You need to. Do you realize a lb of bezuki could keep you in fermented wrapper leaf way longer than sh..t represents. Not a sales a fact. The Bezuki is some good wrapper.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
you didnt notice the nicotine off the tn90 tips??? maybe try it in the morning and see if you notice it.

that stuff must be 50-60mg/g

andrewislord

I have some of the Bezuki and I like it a lot. It's actually the only thing I've tried for wrapper. I was shredding it in and putting it in cigarettes for the oriental. I stopped doing that after I rolled my first cigar. I just purchased some other oriental for blending so I can save the Bezuki.

No, I can't say that I noticed any higher nicotine when I smoked some straight TN90 ligero cigarettes. I even held it in. But I'm also very new to this tobacco thing. I've been smoking for 10 years now, but I never paid much attention to anything. I only recently learned that cigarettes are supposed to taste good. I don't know if I'd notice it being any higher unless it made me dizzy.

Status
Not open for further replies.