Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Cardboard box pile curing

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Getting leaves to yellow up here has been one of the biggest hurdles. On a lark i decided to use a cardboard box that a new fan had just come in, it was rectangular in shape and slightly larger than my leaves.

I piled about 30 leaves inside it, mostly filling the box, and closed the tabs on top and left it on my deck.

So far it is a success. Those in the middle are turning yellow, i invert the pile daily and they are all yellowing up nicely.

I'm going to string them up when they are all pretty much yellow and air cure them.

So far no mold or compost, things seem swell.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I did that once but I just kept them in my basement (in a box) and let them turn brown while still in the box. Worked fine as long as you continue to mix them up on a daily basis.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Hey Chicken, This sounds similar to your "net bag" curing. That worked OK didn't it? I have several plants the escaped the identification routine. (So sue me.) I was thinking I'd just bag them like you did for color curing and then try Bob's latakia trick.

John

Tom_in_TN

SmokeAhoy, take out and string up the yellowed leaves. Allow the others to yellow and string them up. Good work!

BarG

Founding Member
Getting leaves to yellow up here has been one of the biggest hurdles. On a lark i decided to use a cardboard box that a new fan had just come in, it was rectangular in shape and slightly larger than my leaves.

I piled about 30 leaves inside it, mostly filling the box, and closed the tabs on top and left it on my deck.

So far it is a success. Those in the middle are turning yellow, i invert the pile daily and they are all yellowing up nicely.

I'm going to string them up when they are all pretty much yellow and air cure them.

So far no mold or compost, things seem swell.

Lefty righty had a real good post on piling recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.