Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

pipes and aging tobacco

Status
Not open for further replies.

marksctm

Chris , Cob pipes are nice but the Briars are dirt cheap on Ebay.

Hey Randy,
I've been looking on Ebay and picked out few inexpensive ones, I think I'm going to get,

!B9jEg(gEWk~$(KGrHqEOKpoEy+jC0u1uBM6I26hp6Q~~0_1.JPG$(KGrHqVHJEQE88dE0T35BPR6NGPB8w~~60_3.JPG$(KGrHqJHJFMF!OFKG(kZBQjiJCDFUg~~60_3.JPG and$(KGrHqJHJEMFBs(4c3S5BQigL(0FWg~~60_1.JPG
Grand total for all four...
$21.54 all free shipping.
I had 5 or 6 nice ones from family, and picked up here and there, but x girlfriend stole everything I owned from store & lock, F$*#&## B$%*#, she better never cross the street outside of a cross walk, it'll be like the old video game Frogger, I loved that game.

Thanks Randy B, for reply

BarG

Founding Member
I used a piece of dried bamboo for my dried cobb pipe but it became loose and falls out. What is the best way to attach the stem or what is best stem to use. It is just a decoration as is.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I used a piece of dried bamboo for my dried cobb pipe but it became loose and falls out. What is the best way to attach the stem or what is best stem to use. It is just a decoration as is.

Tim, If you look at cobs, they drill a hole in the side and glue in a piece of hardwood for the stummel. It is usually only a few inches long. Onto the hardwood stummel you would attach your stem. This system keeps your pipe stummel nice and tight and allows you to remove the short stem for cleaning.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Tim, If you look at cobs, they drill a hole in the side and glue in a piece of hardwood for the stummel. It is usually only a few inches long. Onto the hardwood stummel you would attach your stem. This system keeps your pipe stummel nice and tight and allows you to remove the short stem for cleaning.
Got any idea of what kind of glue they use?

J

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
None whatsoever, but considering the glue does not enter the smoking part of the bowl I would imagine any kind of glue would work from wood glue to epoxy.

Seanz

That meer looks good but i tend to think the second one looks like a plastic outer with a metal bowl, I could be wrong though. I had one of those and it got a as hot as the back side of the sun, But good price to see whether ya like them or not.

marksctm

Seanz,
I don't know what to expect for such low price, but when you need something to get by, the'll do till I find something nicer. The one's coming from China probably have led dust or some crap in them, that's why so cheep. Oh well, what don't kill you makes you stronger! Cough... Cough...

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
I picked up a meer lined briar off eBay that has been serving me well. I just got one and using that all the time is letting me know what attributes to look for in the next one. So far I think my next one needs to be wider, shorter stem and flat bottomed so it sits easy

marksctm

Like you said the price is great Looking forward to hearing what ya think of them

Well there ordered, said they were shipped! should get them by the 9th of december.
Guess they strapped them to a gad dam carrier piseon.

Knucklehead

Founding Member

J[/QUOTE

I followed a link from here to a pipe info site. One of the things he talked about was installing a wooden plug in the bottom of a corn cob pipe to prevent burn out. He said use Elmer's glue and wait 24 hours.

DonH

J[/QUOTE

I followed a link from here to a pipe info site. One of the things he talked about was installing a wooden plug in the bottom of a corn cob pipe to prevent burn out. He said use Elmer's glue and wait 24 hours.

I think they already come with a wooden insert at the bottom but maybe they're talking about something else. Corn cobs are so cheap, I don't worry about burnout. And once I got some briars and a meerschaum I didn't smoke the two corn cobs I bought.

Meerschaums give a fantastic smoke. I wish they weren't so expensive.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
I have an aged briarwood pipe that really does taste nice, but like you said, Meershaums are the way to go, I got an antique one for $30 (the guy had no idea what he had for sale) that smokes amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.