Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

My First Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

NorelliGage

Originally from Edinburgh. Canada is my adopted co
I really appreciated those people, who almost take their time to give words(which I actually find it amazing. lol)
I have read everything from Tobacco Growing FAQ and quite got everything how to plant tobacco. However, I read from number six question. "Can I grow tobacco in pots?" and thinking to have it in my own. I also took time to know about varities of tobacco.
I raised my question from here:

What do you think is the best (appropriate seed) seed to plant in a pot? :cool:

I do really appreciate your ideas(vast knowledge) to answer my first question.
PS Norelli

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
ive seen all types of baccy grown in pot's,

i dont think there, is a certain kind that would grow better, in a pot/ vs the ground,

just figure out what type plants you wanna grow, and use a pot if need be,

Steve2md

I agree with chicken. I do think that your plants will be slightly stunted in pots 5 gallons or smaller, vs the same plant put in the ground. Having said that, if your gror is intended to produce maximum QUANTITY, I would go with a plant known for its large size, vs one known to stay rather "small"....YMMV

johnlee1933

Founding Member
IMO the guys have got it right. I have grown in 5 gallon pails and half 55 gallon drums. While a little smaller the plants in the 5 gal pails did fine and they're a lot easier to move. I punch a few holes around the bottom pail so I don't drown the plants. Of course this means I have to set them on a water proof tray. I just use the cover and am careful about how much water I use. Remember, lots of light is important.

John

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Home depot is running a sale on the Homer buckets right now

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
A factor often taken lightly is that pots of 5 gallons or larger will require a whole lot of dirt. If you can't dig it, you'll have to purchase it.

Bob

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
A factor often taken lightly is that pots of 5 gallons or larger will require a whole lot of dirt. If you can't dig it, you'll have to purchase it.

Bob

i believe if i was doing a concentrated grow, [ 5 gal ] bucket....
i'd rather buy the soil, it will be grown in, and do some research on soil's bought,,, time-released fert's,and certain '' additives'' store bought soil may have.

and id suggest lining the bottom of the bucket with about a 3 inch layer of pourous rock,

'' rail-road rock would be perfect'' big rocks, so water can drain easily down,,, and then find the holes in your bucket.

just know that once you '' put'' it where, it's going to be, you'll need a dolly to carry it on, thats going to be one heavy bucket,, and when the plant starts growing and getting big,,

moving it '' the bucket'' would not be recommended, without a dolly,

NorelliGage

Originally from Edinburgh. Canada is my adopted co
Maybe baccy would be perfect. My father have big pots in our backyard and though I raise the question that way I forgot that I planted one of my father's tobacco seed in a small pot. (and I don't know what kind of seeds are those)

Guys, are there difference when I plant it in a bucket or in pot? I mean if you tried it once. between the two?

Tom_in_TN

Never planted it in a bucket/pot, but like said above it just will not grow as large,...not always a bad thing!!!

Little Dutch comes to mind as a good one. Sweet aroma/flavor...grows to about 3' to 4'.

Xanthi Yaka, a Turkish variety is very mild and does best when planted close together. They are not a 'bushy' plant with huge leaves either. I think 2 or 3 in a 5 gallon bucket would work OK.

I believe if the plant(s) were fertilized and watered correctly, you could do OK.

indianjoe

Founding Member
Accounting volume of soil and type, aeration, microbial activity, inert nurtitional content, and trace elemental components, if you plant in soil versus bucket its not that it will not grow, its that your getting by with an environment that will support growth. I've seen a lot of other plants and tobacco that can and do make fantastic plants grown in pots, not in the ground but, there ain't nothing like the original terrestial earth.

oceansgreen

Interesting question OP, i think that indianjoe has a good point to leave the original topic and respond, pots definately work, and i love them for indoor growing to keep me sane over the cold, dry winter, but the only way you can ever reach full potential with a plant would be outdoors in a rich soil filled with organic matter, mulched well and scattered with plants that can unlock all those micronutrients from deep in the earth and make them available to your intended crops

that being said, its obviously still gonna be possible to grow plants in a pot or aquaponics setup or other growing setups, and if indoors is the only way that plant will grow, then i cant say that pots are anything other than the way to go

marksctm

They dry out quick in 5 gal buckets though, I grew tomato's that way and had to water them in the morning and evening.

Status
Not open for further replies.