Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Smokehouse Log

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rayshields

johnlee1933;18480 Anyone ever try drying sweet corn? If so how is it? John[/QUOTE said:
I dried some in my convection oven last year. It takes a long time to dry. I gave some away to my kids and then forgot that I had it...can't imagine that it isn't good, but can not say for sure. It is getting to be time to make vegetable soup, so I will dig the corn out and let you know.

Ishi

Let the sweet corn dry on the stock like you would field corn, then shell it and cook it in a cast iron skillet with just a wiping of oil. Cook on med-hi stirring all the time till they puff up. Better than corn nuts. Bar G goes good with fried coon!!
Dan

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Latest news on the bacon project. It is complete and I got generally good reviews so far. For me the bottom line is I like it. Some questions on how thick to slice it have come up. I like it thin. It is really no problem. Folks just need to decide what they really like. The dry cured stuff will not get sliced and stored. I will let it hang in the smokehouse , keep an eye on it and slice and taste a bit now and then.

This has been a fun project. If it hadn't been for the free wood to build the house it probably wouldn't have gotten off the ground. That would have been my loss.

I think I just got a source for pigs, gutted, scalded and skinned for $100 each. If that's true I'm trying to figure how to handle 200 pounds of pork. LOL Fresh pork is not my favorite meat but I am good with cured. So I'm thinking bacon, Canadian bacon, sausage, ribs and such. For an extra $25 they'll rough cut it. I just need to find out what "rough cut" really means. Anybody know if I can cure and smoke roasts and the like?

John

BarG

Founding Member
John, I would think you dry cure and smoke the roasts the same way, maybe a little longer on the smoking, and just leave hanging. One thing you would get is a green mold that you scrape off before carving a piece. My neighbor grew up in west Texas with no ref. and thats how his dad did it. He swears it was some of the best ham he ever ate. You may need to get past the mold issue though. I have heard the same thing about venison done that way.
I have a meat slicer that is adjustable for 0-1 1/2" thick. I like my bacon about 1/8" -3/16 thick countrystyle.
I need to get on a project like that. It would put my water tank smoker to shame.

I suspect the rough cut is Quartered and all the trimmings.

Seanz

Its all about the seams between the muscles but then depending what your gonna do with them , for bacon its just a case of boning then brine, a books a good start but even better is hit up the local butcher if you have one and get him to show ya.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Its all about the seams between the muscles but then depending what your gonna do with them , for bacon its just a case of boning then brine, a books a good start but even better is hit up the local butcher if you have one and get him to show ya.
Our stores are so big they all have meat sections where there are no "butchers" just "meat cutters." It is all big business. I deal now and then with a nearby wholesaler but they don't even have meat cutters. There is one store whose meat section I favor but I don't know any of their cutters well enough for this kind of help. Besides that I'll bet between clean food rules and insurance I couldn't even get in the cutting area. I guess it'll be like the rest of my life -- wade in and trial and error. The bacon turned out OK. We'll see if I can extend it a bit. The local library has been a really good resource for a variety of projects.

John

BarG

Founding Member
The one thing I would stumble on is cutting up a scalded shaved hog.

On wild hogs I cut out the backstraps like a deer and cut into boneless pork chops.. On domestic hogs I have taken a knife and separate the ribs leaving the backstrap and use a sawsall to separate the vertebrae to give my version of a countrystyle rib. Separating the front quarters is the easiest. Separating the hams requires carving around the ball joint in the rear socket and leaving the pork butt. All other can be put to use for grinding , I usualy get a lot of grinding meat from all fore limbs or anything not good for roast or ham. I often grind the whole front quarters after boning, but I eat a lot of sausage. Anything that would be hanging below the ribs is the meat and fat layered bacon or pork belly.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Dam Mr BarG, I'd love to take a trip to Texas and learn how to do this. I raised pigs for two years. When they were ready I took them to a butcher. I was going to try it myself but figured I'd throw away more good meat then bad.

Ex Pig Man Ran

oldsouth

Banned
Hey,

I take it from the design that you are going for a cold smoke for curing hams or sausage? If you ever need any barbecue advice, let me know - from building a pit to cooking. My family came to NC in the 1600s. Barbecue arrived via Cuba in to NC and VA about the same time. We've been cooking real NC style barbecue for hundreds of years.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Hey,

I take it from the design that you are going for a cold smoke for curing hams or sausage? If you ever need any barbecue advice, let me know - from building a pit to cooking. My family came to NC in the 1600s. Barbecue arrived via Cuba in to NC and VA about the same time. We've been cooking real NC style barbecue for hundreds of years.
Yes and Thanks. I will. I just asked a few over in the Providing for the table thread.

BarG

Founding Member
John, The dry cured bacon sample you sent was fantastic. I know now I need to go hog hunting this week before work swamps me and give the cold smoke cure a try.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
John, The dry cured bacon sample you sent was fantastic. I know now I need to go hog hunting this week before work swamps me and give the cold smoke cure a try.
Glad you liked it but that was brine cured (salt, brown sugar and a little maple syrup.) for 12 days and cold smoked for 24 hours. I am going to let the dry cured hang for a few weeks and then if it is any good I'll send you a sample.

John

Randy

I hope rite place to ask this..but is best Beef Jerky you guys have made or tasted?? I have always wanted to try and make-it but never got around to it.I have to say its one of my favorite foods/snacks besides maybe good steak on grill!! my fav is sweet & hot kind you buy in any store. I have tasted alot homemade jerky..but never got the rite taste as store bought.:confused:

Randy

Status
Not open for further replies.