Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

School me on maryland

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
I understand darks, flue/fire cures, burley, rusticas, orientals etc. i never really looked into maryland category tobacco though... wouldnt each different strain be better served being classified into one of the other established categories though or am i missing something here?

johnlee1933

Founding Member
I understand darks, flue/fire cures, burley, rusticas, orientals etc. i never really looked into maryland category tobacco though... wouldnt each different strain be better served being classified into one of the other established categories though or am i missing something here?
That makes you a lot more savvy than I but I do know a little about Maryland 609. It is a FINE! filler tobacco. I smoke it pure for a mild every day cigar. I got some from Don and BigBonner and grew some myself for the first time this year. It is curing now and I just hope that it is as good as theirs. I am just starting to experiment adding other varieties to get different tastes and aromas.

John

BarG

Founding Member
Is Maryland its own classification or a burley,albeit milder.

I agree about the maryland 609, Its great all around And Bonners plants this year had huge leaves similar to burley but bigger.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Maryland tobacco is its own class. Most of its varieties were derived from various seedleaf varieties. It tends to be low in nicotine, and has a much higher than average ability to absorb moisture (or flavorings), and is used by cigarette factories to "bulk-up" the filler shred. The flavor tends to be mild, though the upper leaves can have some punch.

For cigar filler, it makes a good mild base filler. As pure filler, it tends to absorb quite a bit of the moisture of combustion, and gradually cause the butt to become soggy and slow to draw. This is remedied by including some leaf in the filler blend that is much slower to hydrate.

Maryland is my first choice for making black Cavendish pipe tobacco.

Bob

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
so you could have a maryland burley, maryland brightleaf, maryland filler, maryland dark air etc?

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Yeah, This year I grew Maryland Samsun, Maryland Monte Clame Yellow, Maryland Little Dutch and about a dozen more, but then again I live in Marlyand....:D

Maryland Man Ran

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Right that is my confusion, MD is the class but aren't there basically burleys and bright leafs, cigar fillers and flue cureds and such all encompassed in the MD type?
For instance couldn't you have a Maryland flue cured brightleaf?

Tom_in_TN

"This year I grew Maryland Samsun, Maryland Monte Clame Yellow, Maryland Little Dutch and about a dozen more Maryland varieties, but then again I live in Marlyand....

Maryland Man Ran

Whoa!!! JBD, let me trade some oriental leaf from Baccyville in exchange for some BSS-Maden and Monte Clame Yellow leaf grown in Maryland. That might help you escape this rut you''ve fallen into lately. :)

I heard it said the leaf grown in Maryland is the BEST, but the leaf grown in Baccyville is also pretty good stuff.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
I don't think where its grown matters anymore. I think some places are just better for what happens after harvest and then just in the commercial sense.

Hell if al gore had his way Vermont would be the next north Carolina in a few years lol

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
i really liked BIGBONNERS maryland 609... whole leaf i got from him,

allthough ive never growed a md. variety,

next year i plan on having some of it in the patch,

johnlee1933

Founding Member
i really liked BIGBONNERS maryland 609... whole leaf i got from him,

allthough ive never growed a md. variety,

next year i plan on having some of it in the patch,
I liked BB's 609 too. I've ordered more. I grew some this year and can't wait for it to get out of the kiln.

John

skychaser

Right that is my confusion, MD is the class but aren't there basically burleys and bright leafs, cigar fillers and flue cureds and such all encompassed in the MD type?
For instance couldn't you have a Maryland flue cured brightleaf?

Smokes... You are confusing the terminology.

Like Bob said, Marylands are their own of class of tobaccos derived from the same ancestries and share similar characteristics. Just as Burleys share the same basic pedigrees and characteristics. Same with Bright leafs, Orientals, etc

"Flu cured" is not an actual class of tobacco, but rather a curring method that is most commonly used on Bright Leafs. Bright leafs are often incorrectly referred to as "flu curred" varieties, imho. You could flu cure a Burley or a Maryland but that is not what defines them.

A tobacco called a cigar filler might be a Burley, Maryland, Dark Virginian, etc. Being called a cigar filler does not classify a tobacco either, but indicates what it may be most commonly used for. But that doesn't necessarily mean it won't make a good cigarette too. Many people like Havana 142 as a cigarette tobacco, but if I recall correctly it is usually called a cigar filler.

Maryland 609 is an excellent variety. It a very heavy producer with large leaves. It ripens later than MD A30, which is also a very good variety to grow. I grew both last year and again this year. MD 609 out produces the MD A30 by a small margin but the MD A30 has a little bigger leaves. It is a little more pyramidal shaped than MD 609 and is lower in overall height in my grows. A30 might be a slightly better choice for very windy areas. If you want a good heirloom Maryland variety to grow then get Catterton. It holds its own against either of the other two and ripens earlier.

Marylands are mild to medium flavored and to smoke. They can be used in pipe, cigar or cigarette blends. When ever I smoke it I think of Marlboro's. I'm betting they contain a blend with Maryland in it.

my 2 pence...

Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.