Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Is this a problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonH

Last week I hung some lower leaves and several of them are developing dark greenish spots. Is it mold? It doesn't have the consistency of mold or have spores on it or anything. Is it because they were harvested too early and are lower leaves/lugs? Is it normal?

IMG_0254sm.jpgIMG_0255sm.jpgIMG_0256sm.jpgIMG_0257sm.jpg

BarG

Founding Member
Let them fully cure to see if they remain. That looks like mid cure syndrome.

I love to kid and i'm no expert but your stems are still green and the leaves are still dying.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Now that they are totally yellow minus the rib couldn't he hang em in a warm humidity free spot to crisp them?

DonH

Now that they are totally yellow minus the rib couldn't he hang em in a warm humidity free spot to crisp them?

That's what I was thinking.

As for mildew, humidity has been fairly low this week. Right now in the late morning it's 45%. But at night it goes up to 80% so who knows. Also, it seems to only aaffect the Virginia BL not the Burley which has yellowed on the plant more.

DonH

Well I ended up having to toss about 100 leaves. Very disappointing. They were lower leaves, though. I moved the ggood ones up to the attic and put a fan there. Also, I will not pick leaves too early and wait until either Monday or next Friday to pick more which will make it three to four weeks from topping.

The ones that were most advanced with whatever kind of fungus were already dry and I don't think they were going to get better. They had a definite green color on the back. But no spores, powder or wetness. Haven't found anything on Google searches that identifies it which is weird.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Your pictures clearly show a nearly complete colonization of mildew on your leaves. This is most often caused by extended time in high humidity. Whenever the humidity stays in the 80% and above range you'll need to correct the condition.

If you're curing outdoors, close the building and introduce some form of heat. and air circulation.

If you're curing indoors, introduce heat and air circulation.

I've lost a lot of tobacco to mildew due to an extended period of rain (3 days).

DonH

Your pictures clearly show a nearly complete colonization of mildew on your leaves. This is most often caused by extended time in high humidity. Whenever the humidity stays in the 80% and above range you'll need to correct the condition.

If you're curing outdoors, close the building and introduce some form of heat. and air circulation.

If you're curing indoors, introduce heat and air circulation.

I've lost a lot of tobacco to mildew due to an extended period of rain (3 days).

Well it's good to know what it is, that way I know how to combat it for the rest of the crop. Also. I have been traveling every week so I've been gone four days at a time and haven't been able to monitor them like I should. I left the garage door open at night because the daytime humidity has been low and I was more worried about drying green. But now I know.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
You're in a temperate rain forest. Even on the driest days, green tobacco will not dry out like it would if you're in a desert. An arid climate will suck the moisture out of anything alive and mummify it...have you ever seen a Texan?...then you know what I mean ;)

leverhead

You're in a temperate rain forest. Even on the driest days, green tobacco will not dry out like it would if you're in a desert. An arid climate will suck the moisture out of anything alive and mummify it...have you ever seen a Texan?...then you know what I mean ;)

A mid-west farmer looks like a prune and Maine lobstermen look like a baked potato.

BarG

Founding Member
I'll have to post a pic I would be a perfect example. Its like a week at the beach without the sunscreen.

Edit; I'm to shy and I would Blind everybody. You'd think you were looking at a martian im so red.

Tom_in_TN

BarG, we can take it...we've come this far and we've been hardened by blazin' heat, scorching wind, driving rain, blinding snow storms, dreaded hornworms and the rest of what is thrown at us. Besides all that, we've been exposed to some real 'groaty' looking tip leaves over on Bob's grow-log. Blast away!

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
i get that issue, a lot when i prime my leaves,,,,

it's so damp here, and if im not here, to rotate the pile soon enough...

my leaves will develop this same issue, thats why i mainlly dont prime much leaf,

pick it and hang it, is my solution,

Status
Not open for further replies.