Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

anaerobic, fermented tobacco

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
So ever since I watched perique being processed I wondered how it would come out if I packed a jar with cured tobacco shred, covered with water, added yeast and let it ferment for a peeriod of time. Once the bubbles stop what do you think I'd have? Probably a pound of disgusting trash, I'm tempted to try it anyway though unless it's already been done and doesn't work.

Juxtaposer

You certainly can adopt a perique style fermentation to any tobacco type.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
So ever since I watched perique being processed I wondered how it would come out if I packed a jar with cured tobacco shred, covered with water, added yeast and let it ferment for a peeriod of time. Once the bubbles stop what do you think I'd have? Probably a pound of disgusting trash, I'm tempted to try it anyway though unless it's already been done and doesn't work.

I think you'd have something pretty disgusting
You can take some cured leaves, get them in to a heavy case and put them in a press for a few months. You'll get a nice perique that way. I've done that with Havana 263 and it came out real "perique-like"
The press could be something as simple as a small wooden box with a C-clamp for pressure

johnlee1933

Founding Member
I think you'd have something pretty disgusting
You can take some cured leaves, get them in to a heavy case and put them in a press for a few months. You'll get a nice perique that way. I've done that with Havana 263 and it came out real "perique-like"
The press could be something as simple as a small wooden box with a C-clamp for pressure
Thanks JD for the info. What temp/humidity for the few months of waiting?

John

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I believe the pressure component of the Perique process (~30-50 psi) serves to disrupt the cell walls of the lamina, releasing the leaf enzymes into the oozing liquid. Perhaps (read, "I don't really know...") you might be able to initially crush the leaf at the required pressure, then allow the leaf-goo brew to ferment without pressure for several months. The formal process releases the continuous pressure only infrequently (say 3 or 4 times over 9 months), so I suspect that the egress and ingress of the goo into the leaf may not be essential to the outcome. Adding water may not be the way to go, since the high osmolarity (high concentration of compounds) of the goo inhibits undesirable microbial growth in a manner similar to jellies and jams.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.