Not open for further replies.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
^^^^^

true,

i mean if your bagging it for meat,

then why does rules and regulations have a right to dictate, what,, and how,

we gather items to put on our table,?????

i'll kill any animal, any time of the year,any time of the day,

if i plan on eating him,

Steve2md

me too, as long as I can get away with it, and only when I have to to feed my family. I am willing to risk "poaching" to feed my family, and they're usually pretty lenient in that aspect.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
...then why does rules and regulations have a right to dictate, what,, and how...
This is an old and familiar story, and one you might enjoy reading about.

The Pioneers by James Fenimore Cooper

Hunting for food comes into conflict with a new pioneer government in western Pennsylvania/New York, and a large land owner. (Time-frame is the late 1700s) Features the wilderness-wise character, Nathaniel Bumppo, hero of The Last of the Mohicans, in his waning years.

Download free as pdf (~17.5 MB): http://books.google.com/books?id=Ul68uEtCBI8C&oe=UTF-8

Buy printed book from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...d-keywords=James+Fenimore+Cooper+The+Pioneers

There's also a Kindle e-book edition for 99 cents. [You can download a free Kindle reader for your PC at Amazon.com. I use my free Kindle reader to read many of the old and free books about tobacco. Dozens have been scanned and made available at www.archive.org.]

Bob

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
Don't forget all the other wild game out there besides whitetails.
Edit; Are there any avid bow hunters out there.? I'm a recurve shooter.

i got my first deer of the season, friday morning with a bow,

i stuck him a little high, but still a vital shot, [ i shot him damn near under my stand, thus the bad shot ]

>
deer001.jpg

deer010.jpg

deer012.jpg

deer004.jpg

i may go back out there, in the morning, with a rifle,???

Boboro

If I can chum one up in the house. get him to lay on the table. Thats when I'n gonna start the hunt.

Kaneo

Nice Buck,

No hunting season in New Zealand, can hunt all year round though only trophey hunting here in Autum or fall for you guys.

No cost either for shooting deer on public land, I have a .300 short mag with a bushnell range finding scope but its been a year or so since its shot a deer.

I'm more interested in shooting for the table / grill than a nice set of antlers, though if they were to come my way I would not say no

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
If I got a nice rack off a deer I'd rehandle my mora knives. I have zero use for a trophy otherwise.

The meat is the only reason I hunt.

wrigsted

I am deeply envious of your opportunities for hunting. There are really only people with money who can hunt here in Denmark. Just weapons permit for a rifle is up to $ 50 per month. Even California's gun laws are very relaxed compared to ours. I can get prison for being in possession of a 2" folding knife with lock, not to mention any gun I don't have a permit for. It is only estates and a few places that are renting out for hunting which have areas over a few acres just for hunting.
But our farmers are good to maintain the population of deer and other game by making habitat and feeding during the winter. There will also put many -to-many- pheasants out, but as they are reared by human hand, is almost too easy to hunt them.

Kaneo

Yer probably take for granted what we have in NZ. No weapons permit or cost per rifle. Though you have to renew your gun license every ten years.

In saying that I have several mountain ranges within one hours drive that I can hunt.

Was better when my brother worked for a forestry company here -we could drive in to the hut and shoot anything from wild pigs, sheep, cattle and deer.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Wow that's terrible. When did you guys put down the horned helmets? When I think of that area I can't help but also trigger thoughts of Thor, Valhalla and Vikings! 50 a month for the "privilege" to defend your family?

Well you probably have a warhammer. I wouldn't want to get hit with that either.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
im going out this evening,

smokesahoy,

i may be able to help you with some antlers for your knives,

i'll have to p.m. you some pic's of antlers i have,

i'd gladlly mail you them if they can be used,?

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Oh no I'm not actively looking just saying that's how I'd use it if I did down a deer with a nice rack

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Thank goodness for hunters.

I went out Friday to a remote area of the Jefferson National Forest to do a couple of days of light backpacking. It's bow hunting season here. (Since bow hunters have to actually see what they shoot, I wasn't concerned about being mistaken for a handsome buck!)

When I finally returned to my car Saturday morning, with boots soaked through from a mishap during my last of 4 creek crossings, I unloaded my gear, and sat in my car for a long moment to rest my old, aching body. When I turned the key, the ignition circuit blew. I replaced a 40 amp fuse, then promptly blew it again. An apparent short in my starter or starter solenoid. Bummer. Turned on my cell phone--no signal.

Since I was parked in BFE, I started out walking down the road with my codger cane. Two bow hunters, a man with his teenage son, stopped their truck and offered assistance. In the end, they drove me 20 miles into Pearisburg (the Dairy Queen, for a traditional post-hike Blizzard), which I'm sure sacrificed some excellent hunting time for them.

Now my only remaining headache is to pay a tow truck to drive way out there and then haul my car to a mechanic. (These newer cars make it nearly impossible to fix such simple problems at home.)

Thank you, bow hunters.

Bob

COLIN

SDC18954.jpg

Here is a picture of one i shot ten year's ago.It cost me fifteen hundred dollar's to take it to a taxidermist . Colin

Kaneo

Nice stag Colin, i like how the taxidermist has him mounted - roaring for the win.

No good about the fuses Stogie, though its good to see there are still some decent people willing to help you

oldsouth

Banned
im going out this evening,

smokesahoy,

i may be able to help you with some antlers for your knives,

i'll have to p.m. you some pic's of antlers i have,

i'd gladlly mail you them if they can be used,?

Hey, I'm hoping to kill a few bucks this fall too, but I have a knife I've been working on and could surely use a bit of antler for a handle. If you still have some to spare, may I put in a request? It should be a great knife when finished - made from an old bayonet blank, with a wave pattern on the blade (seems to be a good compromise between straight edge and serrated) and a good tip for skinning.

notcrack

I have avoided responding to this topic, but seriously people eat squirrels? This news has made me sad. We have the American grey squirrel in England and I quite like them. Sort of cheeky little chaps.
Just to note I'm not knocking anyone's choice to eat them, but it's not I could do.

Status
Not open for further replies.