Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

How to re-hydrate a large amount of leaf

Status
Not open for further replies.

notcrack

I've just taken a few shipments of leaf from the EU and they seem to be compressed in a large dry block. They are truly massive 4kg blocks as well lol. Well what I need to know is what is the best way to re-hydrate. I need to split everything up into smaller amounts.

Just to note if anyone's interested the leaf from over there is actually pretty good. Not as good as the stuff from here, but for the price its great.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
leave out overnight for the dewy air to find it, at least thats how i case larger amounts.

notcrack

leave out overnight for the dewy air to find it, at least thats how i case larger amounts.
I probably should have mentioned that I'm in the UK. Dewy air is a miracle rarely seen in these parts lol. Thanks for the suggestion though.
What I'm doing at the moment is gently prising it apart and misting it pretty heavily. Then I'm placing it into soiling container, minus the soil, and covering it in clingfilm, but this is labour intensive. Any other thoughts??

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
bathroom with shower running on hot steaming the place up with the door closed? or a pot of boiling water in the closet? i dunno i'll let someone that's actually done an 8 lb brick step in

Jack in NB

Founding Member
Do you have those large plastic garbage bags that fit into a 45 gallon drum?

I've found them helpful for my rehydrating work. Mist the leaves, seal up, leave overnight in a warm spot. Sometimes takes a couple of days - no longer, because they can start to compost!

notcrack

Do you have those large plastic garbage bags that fit into a 45 gallon drum?

I've found them helpful for my rehydrating work. Mist the leaves, seal up, leave overnight in a warm spot. Sometimes takes a couple of days - no longer, because they can start to compost!

I gave this a go last night on the 4lb brick of Burley. It worked ok, but I wasn't overly impressed with the penetration of moisture. I'll give in another go and leave it a few days with a daily air out. Bloody Europeans and there stupid dry tobacco leaf. You should have seen the block of Oriental. It's been hydrating for 2 days now and has increased size fourfold. At least it smells nice I guess.
Cheers for the advice everyone.

Aaron

It's my understanding that the moisture penetration increases with temperature. Maybe leave the black bag in the sun for an afternoon and see if that speeds things up. I have not tried to case more than a pound at one time. I've been using a steamer to add the moisture then let it sit in a bag for a day to even out.

notcrack

Does everyone forget I mentioned I live in the uk?? Sun?? What the hell is that?? ;) I think I'll carry on with the clingfilm wrapped box for the next day or two then try the black bag. I just wanted to make sure that prolonged exposure to the moisture was advisable. I'll try and grab a pic or two so you can see how the Europeans handle this stuff. it's unreal, but I suppose this place has spoiled me slightly.
Thanks everyone.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
should put your location in your profile, we'd forget slightly less :)

BigBonner

Founding Member
Buy one of the 1.5 or 2 gallon , hand pump garden sprays . You can adjust the tip for fine or coars spray . . Pump it up tight and tighten the tip for a fine mist . Make sure to mark the spray water only .
Spray lightly with plain water .

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
ive found that the best way for hydration, is to put a crock-pot in a enclosed area, and let the heat/ steam /moisture, rise up into the baccy,

give it 24 hours and it should be very tender,and soft,,,

BarG

Founding Member
Buy one of the 1.5 or 2 gallon , hand pump garden sprays . You can adjust the tip for fine or coars spray . . Pump it up tight and tighten the tip for a fine mist . Make sure to mark the spray water only .
Spray lightly with plain water .

That makes sense, since I've been tying up my primed leaves I only have a few hours window in the morning, but an adjustable nozzle on a garden hose with the mist setting can buy me a little more time.

Status
Not open for further replies.