Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Seed Strain OVERLOAD

Status
Not open for further replies.

skychaser

Maryland 609 is an excellent plant. It's been a consistent heavy producer for me the past 2 years during nearly opposite growing seasons. Last year was cold, rainy and a generally crappy spring and early summer and this year has been nearly perfect. It is the best of the Maryland varieties I have grown so far as far as leaf size and total volume. It flowers in about 55-60 days, ripens early and air cures easily. Maryland 609 dates back to at least the 1960's.

MD A30 is very similar in growth habit and production and a close second to 609 both this year and last. The leaves are slightly longer and narrower and it flowers about 7-10 days later. MD A30 was developed in the late 90's and has good resistance to tobacco mosaic virus and black shank, which the 609 doesn't have.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Maryland 609 is an excellent plant. It's been a consistent heavy producer for me the past 2 years during nearly opposite growing seasons. Last year was cold, rainy and a generally crappy spring and early summer and this year has been nearly perfect. It is the best of the Maryland varieties I have grown so far as far as leaf size and total volume. It flowers in about 55-60 days, ripens early and air cures easily. Maryland 609 dates back to at least the 1960's.

MD A30 is very similar in growth habit and production and a close second to 609 both this year and last. The leaves are slightly longer and narrower and it flowers about 7-10 days later. MD A30 was developed in the late 90's and has good resistance to tobacco mosaic virus and black shank, which the 609 doesn't have.
How does MD A30 taste? Is it about the same as 609? I have had no problem with mosaic or black shank so far.

John

skychaser

Well, to my very unsophisticated pallet, MD 609, MD A30 and Catterton all taste about the same. lol I'll cure some out and send you a sample. Don't think I have any left from last year. Gave it all away. I've got a lot of Catterton from last year.

I planted also planted Thompson this year but I killed a a couple flats of seedlings due to stupidity. Thompson was one of them. So I restarted them but they got planted so late they haven't amounted to much, and probably got froze last night. Will try it again next year.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Well, to my very unsophisticated pallet, MD 609, MD A30 and Catterton all taste about the same. lol I'll cure some out and send you a sample. Don't think I have any left from last year. Gave it all away. I've got a lot of Catterton from last year.

I planted also planted Thompson this year but I killed a a couple flats of seedlings due to stupidity. Thompson was one of them. So I restarted them but they got planted so late they haven't amounted to much, and probably got froze last night. Will try it again next year.
I've got lots of 609. I would like to try a couple of leaves of A30. Anything you'd like? (besides $1, 000,000. That got took yesterday.)

John

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I planted two Maryland varieties this year: Catterton and Keller. The Catterton was somewhat more productive than the Keller, with longer though narrower leaves. But, judging from the taste of kilned mud lugs and lugs, the Keller seems to offer a fuller flavor and aroma, and the texture of the lamina seems nicer. I'll plant only one MD variety next year, but I'll have to wait for the kilned upper leaf to be finished, before deciding which.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.