Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Rustica in Half Barrels?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mustangII

I was wndering if I could plant tobacco in Half Barrels. I live on rented land and can't even plant a garden. My lot is about as big as a basketball court. I live in a mobile home so let's hear the redneck jokes. I can take it:)

edm

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome, Mustang.
Those who have tried various size pots seem to have settled on 5 gallons as the minimum size to get a robust plant. As I see it, if you use, say, inexpensive 5 gallon buckets from a "Big Box" store, you'll still need to purchase, dig or otherwise acquire 5 gallons of suitable soil for each container. That's no big deal for a few plants, but some have envisioned 100+ plants in pots. That's a lot of dirt. Half-barrels would do well, but I think you'll need about 15-25 gallons of soil for each one, and they'd be tough to move, once you fill them. Having said that, I should point out that there will be nothing but a circle of bare dirt beneath each pot or half-barrel by the end of the season.

Good luck with your project.

Bob

PS: I lived in Columbia, MO for 5 years in the early 1970s. Two of those years were spent living in a trailer ($80/mo payment on the trailer; $20/mo lot rental!). Dated a girl from Bonner Springs, KS.

Last edited:

indianjoe

Founding Member
Howdy Mustangs,
like Bob said the five-gallon sizes seem to work best. The half barrels will work great but Bob pointed out the drawbacks. You might consider 3-4 plants per half barrel if that is all you have. Welcome to forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.