Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Packaging tobacco leaf for sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

notcrack

I'm having some problems finding the answer to this fairly simple question and was wondering if any of you could shed some light on it for me. What is the best way to package tobacco for sale? Is it best to pre-package it like wholeleaftobacco does (in a layflat tube heatsealed also I don't know if this is pre packaged I just know what its like when it arrives with me) or is it best to keep it in a breathable box and just package what is needed??
I need a bit of help on this one guys.
I've been pre-packaging it for a while and I've just come across some green mold on a packet of Burley. It was pretty moist when I sealed it and I think I might have to rip all the packages open. It's going to take a week at least lol.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
There are three basic moisture content descriptions for tobacco. These conditions are generally known as "case" or "order". The three conditions are "High", "Medium" and "Low". Each of these conditions can be further categorized in three conditions..."High", "Medium" and " Low", so now there are nine conditions in which to describe the moisture content of tobacco.

In my opinion, packaged tobacco is best stored in medium/low case. Low case is safer, but your customers will have to bring it into a higher case to process it properly (except for cigar filler). If the tobacco is packaged in low case, you risk the tobacco crumbling while packaging. If the extra air isn't evacuated from a package containing tobacco in low case, you risk additional damage to the tobacco during handling.

notcrack

Thanks for that very descriptive answer. What moisture content would "Low" be. 5-10%?
I'm thinking I should probably just keep the bales in plastic cases, without the lids on, and just package on order. Is this how you do it? Sorry to be a pain on this.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
I pre-package as much as possible. Low case would be anything under 14%. Up to 17% is ideal for long term storage. Anything higher is prone to develop mold.

notcrack

I have just spent the last day and a half unpacking, unwrapping and placing everything into cases. That was fun. Thanks for the advice on this. The internet contains almost no information about how to handle this stuff and I'm guessing a million other things I haven't even thought of asking about it yet. I'm now off to build some type of device to easily hydrate this stuff and find somewhere to peddle my wares.

Steve2md

What is the general consensus on Vacuum sealing tobacco for storage? It would keep the air out of it, and maintain whatever moisture content it was packed at. Is there any precedent for this method?

Rayshields

What is the general consensus on Vacuum sealing tobacco for storage? It would keep the air out of it, and maintain whatever moisture content it was packed at. Is there any precedent for this method?

I've wondered the same thing...I suppose the vacuum would halt the aging process?

Steve2md

even vacuum sealing leaves some oxygen in there, but likely not enough for aging. But is it a feasible means to store already aged tobacco leaves, or will there be too much damage to the leaves? Or maybe packing leaves with a piece of paper towel or butcher paper/news print between them for protection?

johnlee1933

Founding Member
I've wondered the same thing...I suppose the vacuum would halt the aging process?
I'm not sure but I don't think these bag sealers draw that much of a vacuum. The moisture would quickly equalize the pressure. I've had leaf shipped to me that way with no noticeable damage or change. If you could pump a hard vacuum it might be a different story. (A hard vacuum would be difficult as the leaf would out gas like crazy.)

John

Tom_in_TN

Vacuum sealing in medium-low case will not damage the leaf. I would use the type of bags FmGrowit uses: 1, 3 or 5 # sizes. Stores leaf pretty good for a year, maybe longer. There was another thread on this topic (can't find it) regarding leaving enough moisture and oxygen in the bag for some aging of the leaf. I'm thinking someone will jump in here and give us an update.

Status
Not open for further replies.