Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Storing medium quantitys of cured whole leaf without damage

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarG

Founding Member
I grew a lot of wrapper, binder and filler varietys this year but have limited space to hang the amount of tied hands for long term, or at least thats how they are being prepared for now. I'm curios what other members do to resolve this problem. My shop is filling up as a temporary hanging area for a final cure, just to be sure all stems are dry after tied. A lower humidity than original air cure location.
I would hate to start cracking and crushing prime leaves out of ignorance.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I use two methods. I pack a lot into cardboard boxes. These I keep in the basement where the humidity is kept under control. The problem with cardboard is that it breathes too freely so that if I kept them out in the barn they would eventually mold. The other method is that I buy really big plastic boxes from Wal-Mart. I pack these full and keep out in the barn. The advantage to the plastic boxes is that they will keep the tobacco in pretty near the case you packed them and they will undergo a nice natural sweat come the summer. The tobacco does eventually dry out because the boxes are not airtight. When that happens and I need that tobacco I'll just take the lid off, let the moist night air rehydrate and then take the tobacco out of the box the next morning.

Another option is to make a simple press- just make a box, pack it with tobacco, compress it with a board and C-Clamp. Tale the bale out, tie with with string and wrap in plastic.

For my wrapper leaf I flatten out a few dozen leaves while they are in medium case and store them in plastic boxes.

If you use the box method make sure you label everything and tape that label to the box. Also, since I'm really not a big fan of plastic and off-gassing when I buy a new box, I let it set out in the heat for a few days to let it off gas.

Box-Boy-Randy

Boboro

I put the leaves in beer boxes an pack tite put them in the kiln with no water and dry em a few days and keep them in a closet for a year.I'm gonna run out of closet this year so I mite redecorait the living room whit some beer boxes.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
I put the leaves in beer boxes an pack tite put them in the kiln with no water and dry em a few days and keep them in a closet for a year.I'm gonna run out of closet this year so I mite redecorait the living room whit some beer boxes.
I don't want to blaspheme but you might consider growing less? NAH ! :eek:

John

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
I got my eye on a peice of yard I a'nt dug up yet and plan'in a 3rd. grow next year.

me also, i plan an bustin ground this winter, and making a effeciant curing barn

LeftyRighty

Founding Member
I'm with Jitterbugdude - store in big plastic tubs. I grow for cigs, so I store deribbed leaf in loosely packed bales, in low-to-medium case, both before and after the kiln'ing, ready to blend and shred.
To maintain the moisture content, for continuious ageing, I place a plastic soda-bottle (top cut off) in a corner of the tub. The bottle has a few inches of salt-slurry, and is duct taped to the tub to keep it from spilling. Sort of a poor-man's humidifier!

johnlee1933

Founding Member
me also, i plan an bustin ground this winter, and making a effeciant curing barn
You might want to consider a used shipping container (8 X 20 up to 8 X 40). They can be had around here reasonable. You can cut holes for windows if you want and can pretty them up If the lady needs it. i saw one where a guy took two 40'ers and set them 25" apart. He then put up roof trusses and roofed them in. Both were the insulated kind so he heated one of them for his shop. Big sliding doors on the ends made getting stuff in and out easy.

John

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Hey jitter if i were to store in the tubs in med case isnt there a danger of mold?i would really hate to lose that much leaf

Yes there is! The plastic does not breathe. What I do is put the tobacco into the plastic tub in medium to light case and put the lid on. A few days later I'll flip the stuff around, bottom leaves on top, tops onto the bottom. I'll sometimes do that a few more times depending on how moist the tobacco is.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Thanks i,m gone a lot being otr cardbord box it is can always hydrate
You might consider a cardboard box lined with freezer paper. Freezer paper does leak moisture around the folded edges but it is much tighter than the box itself. I kiln my CT shade tight packed in a box under light pressure (a couple of bricks) lined this way. I put one strip one way and the second strip across it. When I fold it up I an not real fussy about getting the edges perfect and I don't tape it. Moisture can get in and out but not rapidly.

John

BarG

Founding Member
Today I built a lever press like Deluxestogies cheese press. I can press hands of my cig varietys and anything that will fit in 2 1/2 gallon ziplocks to make packing easier with minimal damage to leaf as long as case is pliable. I need to find some resealable bags big enough for the large cigar varietys that fit within my budget. With the resealable bags I can leave open if case is to high for evaporation, and keep an eye on. varietys where I can't take a chance on damaging the leaf is still in the works.[wrappers]. So far with bursa and ottoman they will hold just shy of 2 lbs. They are not compressed to the point to where you cannot remove a hand as needed.

G-Chew

How do you know you have reached Medium Case?
I know they are too wet they mold, too dry they break...is medium when you can work with them and they are not brittle but not TOO flexible?

BarG

Founding Member
How do you know you have reached Medium Case?
I know they are too wet they mold, too dry they break...is medium when you can work with them and they are not brittle but not TOO flexible?

I go by feel. When the leaf is flexible enough to handle or process for shredding or rolling, then it is okay to store in that condition in a bag or tub. If you feel it is not just right just leave your container open enough to lose or gain moisture before sealing. I have quite a bit stored in whole leaf hands inside 2.5 gallon ziplocks and I can leave open to allow for moisture loss if case is a bit to high. I have been lucky and had no mold issues. My cigar leaf is hanging in a closed shed with a window cracked open about 6" to allow a small amount of air.

Status
Not open for further replies.