Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Topping

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrewislord

I need to know the details on topping. Do I just get rid of the flower thing or take some leaves with it? Also, when do I do this, as soon as possible or wait for it to open?

Thanks.

DSCN4501.JPG

Picture is from yesterday.

darren1979

First Time Grower
You can pinch the bud off the plant now if you wish, i left mine for a week before removing the bud (just pinch it below the bud, should come off easy enough).
Once you remove the flower bud it will start putting out suckers, so in a couple of weeks your have to remove them also so all energy continues to go to the leaves.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
It doesn't matter too much how you do it. Most people will remove the bud before it flowers. I usually remove a bunch of the small leaves near the bud because they will never really grow big enough to use. Topping will make the remaining leaves grow bigger and thicker. It also induces the plants to start producing suckers out the wazzoo.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
watch the video of BigB topping.

Basically you can have more, smaller leaves, or less, larger leaves.

Burleys, dark airs, cigars etc, usually top lower so the plant makes great big leaves, some people top to 10 or less leaves, personally i top the bud only, leaving the little leaves, but if the plant is not that vibrant i take the next 4-6 down granting me nice size leaves off a plant that isnt doing as well.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
And as for suckers there are several good posts on that subject and how to remove them. Just search with the word suckers.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.