Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

frost damaged leaves

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeapadrenaline

IMG224.jpgSo here is what frost damage looks like. I would advise to harvest early rather than risk the damage. Skychaser infomed me that they will cure, but obviously not to a A grade leaf. I hope he is right and they will still smoke and taste ok.IMG223.jpg

skychaser

Yup. Those is froze'd. They will probably cure ok. Kinda The green will go out of the frozen parts real fast. But they dry with a crispy feel like rawhide. And they won't go in and out of case right.

I got a few more strings out of storage a couple days ago for us to smoke and happen upon a string of African Red that got frosted. African Red hates frost. Show it a picture of winter and it dies. Frosted leaf is real easy to tell from other leaf. It looks different. feels different and it is difficult to get back into case to strip and chop. It doesn't want to take up any moisture and wants to stay leathery. It seems to burn fine and smoke fine and taste fine when mixed into my general blends for cigarettes. But I wouldn't send any to Steve to review. lol

My field is totally fried. It makes your leaves look good. I have a Edmond Scientific weather station that has 3 remote sensors. One is attached to a plant in the field. Monday night hit 27.4f, Tuesday 26.6f, Wed 28.3f. We usually get a light frost this time of year, but hard killing frosts like that don't usually come until the first part of October.

My plants are still alive but barely. Some types did better than others. The Agribon bags made a HUGE difference and protected the flower heads very well. I was very worried about the seed pods that are still filling. There are some late blooming flowers inside the bags that look just fine so the pods should be ok too. Not so with the open pollinated varieties I had. There won't be any seed from the African Red. Looks like a total loss there. And the TN 90 at the other end of the property didn't fare much better. Might get 20% of what I hoped for. So it goes...

Aaron

Sorry to hear you lost so much! I hope the rest hang in there for you. That sucks you got three nights in a row so early.

jeapadrenaline

I did not bag any flowers this year, since my plants all did so poorly. However, i did let a few flower, and they still seem to be doing ok. The hard frost is over for now, for the next week we shouldn't get any lower than 32-34. Got tons of aztec seed lol since i didn't top any and stalk harvested it all. All the others i have enough seed left over for a couple more seasons if i decide to grow them again. I will have to cure and smoke some before i decide. Since some of my seed where just labeled as havana, connecticut and one was just labeled " thaiwan tobacco". So not knowing what exactly they are, seed wont be any good for the seedbank. Ironically, the thaiwan plants grew the best. Tallest and biggest leaves, healthiest looking of all my plants. But i think it may have to do with the soil condition. My soil varies so bad, move 5 feet and soil looks totally different. And it changes every 5 feet through out the whole plot. Next spring i hope to add about 10 pickup loads of cowmanure and whatever else i can get my hands on. Wanted to do it this year, but the weather did not allow me to... oh well, 2013 is another growing season and comming soon to a plot near you.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
The Agribon bags made a HUGE difference and protected the flower heads very well. I was very worried about the seed pods that are still filling. There are some late blooming flowers inside the bags that look just fine so the pods should be ok too. Not so with the open pollinated varieties I had.
Sky,
That's valuable info. I have a number of very late bloomers in Agribon, and have been worried that I would not have time to get seed from them.

Bob

Steve2md

hahaha. None of the tobacco I tested was bad by any means, some of it just wasn't for me when smoked straight.

DonH

hahaha. None of the tobacco I tested was bad by any means, some of it just wasn't for me when smoked straight.

Yeah, that's important to keep mind. I don't like Burley at aall smoked straight but I love it in a blend with flue cured and Oriental.

Status
Not open for further replies.